1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to measure aplication rate from a v box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dcutler, Jan 6, 2010.

1. dcutler

dcutler Junior Member

I am a newbie to salting with a 1.8 cuyd western v Box. I have been salting now for 4 years with a tailgate spreader and it was real easy to measure how much salt i was appling. put in 4 bags and 4 bags come out!!! i was wondering how you more experiance salters no how much salt you are putting down.
    I have a total of 13 accounts that I appy salt to. i need to apply about 2 ton per night. i have some accounts that get all the way down to only 100#'s.

Doug C

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

for me it is kind of a guessing game.... I know how much the box holds and sort of guestimate usage
    Experience is the key

3. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

have u done most of the sites with the tailgate spreader? well thats one way to figure it out and the other is to get use to the spreader and its adjustments. takes a bit but youll finger it out:nod:

4. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

this sounds totally stupid and im prob going to get laughed at but it would work. fill the spreader up with bagged rock salt and mark the spreader at every XXX lbs for whatever works best for you then you can judge your app rate at that.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

do you have ANY idea how many bags that will take????
    we load our Vbox to overfull alot of the time and the weight can vary by pounds on each load.
    Nice idea in theory but not in real life.....JMO