1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to make tractor most profitable...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, Oct 9, 2012.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

we have a JD 4400 HST 35 HP tractor (with heated cab) and i'm trying to figure out how to make it most efficient...we have a 430 loader, back blade and a box blade for attachments, but would consider other attachments, such as a snow blower, snow plow, or a cage...we have a couple larger properties that take a truck 3 hours or so to clear, then we have the mid sized lots, then about 60? resi driveways...

i'm not the most familiar with the tractor and it's potential so that's why i'm here, asking your opinions on what you would do with it...

one thing i don't like doing is trailering it from driveway to driveway, because i'm usually in a truck pushing a parking lot and dont' want my employees transporting it from job to job, that's just asking for trouble...but if that's it's calling then i will make it work

also, on a side note, do you guys use a tractor or bobcat on driveways even if it's 3 am? anyone ever complain?
  2. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I've used skid steers on drives for 16 yrs. No complaints, even after they started putting the back up alarms on them. People know the drill on snow removal early in the morning, it's just the way it is.
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Protec makes pushers for them, I've heard good things about plowing with the smaller tractors. Personally I would use it in smaller lots with a pusher, it's kinda small for much else other than condo/hoa drive situations where drives are next to each other. As you stated trailering is a pain, I'm guessing that top speed is less than 15mph. Each type of equipment excels in its own area, that's where I would use it or sidewalks. If sites are large enough as a cut in machine as well.
  5. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

They are great with a little plow 6' or 7' and put pro wings on, way easy game can move some snow then.