1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to make plow cutting edge last

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by drivefaster35, Nov 13, 2010.

1. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

Ok I've got a Western 9.5 MVP plow on a 2001 dodge 3500. What can I do to help make the cutting edge last longer I've seen those deals you put on the outside edges to make them last atleast slong side the curbs. Keep in mind I do have the pro wings from Western. Any Advice?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not much. They are a wear item, like tires.
  3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

You could always hardface it but you will end up spending more in rod than you would on a new edge.
  4. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

yeah nt much you can do except get less accounts ...lol... or wear shoes and plae them down an inch or two but then I dont think your clients would like the outcome..
  5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if your not wearing your edges up, then your not scaping down to pavment....to take your pick, but you cant have both
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

thats why they call it a "wear" edge///it wears out instead of your moldboard
  7. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Curb guards save not only the edge but your plow. I highly recommend them for any one using a straight blade or V plow. You have wings on your plow so they are not needed.

As for making a cutting edge last, other then using the shoes for your plow i can't think of anything that will make much of a difference.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can make a change in your technique that may help. If you are just busting things open, lower the blade till it just hits the ground but keep some weight on the front tires. I do this if I'm plowing a commercial and it's still snowing, or if there's 8" of concrete in there and I will have to plow it twice to clean it up. Keeping the weight on the tires also helps give you more traction from the front tires, as well as more lateral control.
  9. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

10. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Get a Boss V? lol. Im going on 5 seasons with my boss plow, and there's not more than 1/2" off my cutting edge.
  11. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

We looked into them also. It adds a lot of weight to your plow. We switched over to poly edges from http://cuttingedgepoly.com. We run one plow with a steel edge and a poly edge over it. I don't think we will ever need to change it. Something else to think about at least.
  12. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

doing driveways will make the edge last alot longer. If you plow commercial or roads you can expect to change the cutting edge at least once a year.
  13. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

We have been changing our steel and rubber over to poly over the last few years. We have not had to change one edge since. There is no way that you would only get one season out of an edge made of poly, unless it was the cheap yellow urathane. That's another story. We run each of our pieces of equipment an average of 200 hours per season, so it's not that we don't use our equipment enough.
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Is it just me, or is it comical to measure cutting edge lifespan in years?

PLOW-KING Member

LOL, I go through 3 cutting edges a season on my fisher ez-v
  16. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

That seems extreme, but I have no idea how thin stock you are putting on your Fisher.
    I got to know one of our boss dealers very well. He told me that they love to put thinner cutting edges on the blades so his customers need to buy more. He thought that it was just good business. I wanted to punch him!

PLOW-KING Member

they are 5/8" thick high carbon steel
  18. wenzelosllc

wenzelosllc Senior Member

I bought my plow from a city by me and they welded some small sacrificial pieces of steel onto the cutting edge. I didn't know what they were for until a friend pointed them out. They kinda act like shoes I guess. All I know is that they used one big welder to get those things on there.
  19. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

Did they extend your life of the edge?
  20. wenzelosllc

wenzelosllc Senior Member

They did until I wore them out. Then it was just business as usual and the edge starting getting worn down. I haven't figured out how to weld on new ones. My welder won't do that thick of steel.

I know some people get double use out of their edges by just flipping them over and using the fresh edge. Seems like a smart idea to me.