1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to make money without a snowplow???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jonnyz37, Dec 16, 2014.

1. jonnyz37

jonnyz37 Junior Member

hey guys, im a lawn care / landscape guy in central ky. Snow here is hit or miss and most of the time is under 2 or 3" any event. So im leary of making the commitment to a plow set up. So my question is...how can I make some money over the winter without a plow? backpack blower on snow? other ideas? thanks guys

2. Jfdvrod

Jfdvrod Junior Member

True that the snow may not be as frequent, but as I have learned from working in the L-ville KY area, the hourly rate you can charge is a bit larger. We charge $120 an hour to push snow in our area, I would imagine you can charge the same or more. In the northern areas, there is more snow but more snow plows. Get a used blade from up north and jump into the business.

What are the hourly rates in the north???

3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Start a national snow company

4. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Dust pan and broom

What type of work are you trying to do? Commercial or residential?

5. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Talk to apts, churches, sm strip malls, ect. about sidewalk snow removal. A 2 man crew with snow blowers and chemical can do a lot of business. We price out at about $60 a man hour. Also a good way to grow into the plow business in the future. Do a great job and be timely, and they will want you to plow in the winter, cut in the spring.

6. bk502

bk502 Junior Member

I am in Louisville too and am new to snow removal. I sent out out mailers to all of my customers letting them know that I offer this service. I have a church with about 2.5 acre parking lot that I am doing this winter. I went the cheap route and bought a light comm./resi. plow and a used 600 lb spreader. I also purchased a 36"snowplow shovel that looks like will kick butt in clearing sidewalks.

7. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

Sell some plowing jobs and hire someone else to plow them. Puts you at distance from the work. I noticed almost all the sub's that worked on my house were not the actual company that was hired. Sub of sub's.

8. charliemill

charliemill Junior Member
    from 68104

You can do a lot of houses with a shovel and decent snowblower

9. Lcmains1

Lcmains1 Member

I agree, you can make a lot of money doing residential with Snowblowers and shovels. One guy and a truck can do 15-20 himself. At $40 a home profits can add up quickly

10. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

maybe buy a used ATV or side by side, and attach a snow plow for small lots or driveways

11. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Get a plow for your zero turn mower that you already have. Use a walk behind spreader for salting. I don't do Craig's list, but check that for a used ATV or zero turn plow. Do residential and small commercial. See where that takes you and grow from there.

12. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Finance a truck with a plow already on it... Then your not out of pocket on a plow set up...

Land snow contracts and sub them to a guy with a truck