1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to make just 5 gallons of brine from....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gottaluvplows, Feb 14, 2010.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

OK im experimenting again.... (just on my home walks) I just got this 40lb bag of Morton salt blend its Cal. and rock salt mixed and then a bag or morton rock salt....I want to make some liquid does anyone know what i should do to make just 5 gallons of brine from what i have??
    also do i have to put anything in it so that it doesnt freeze or since the salt melts down to -15 or so i dont have to add anything else. I hope im not confusing you guys! :help:

Here's what i got from home depot: (this must be the 25lb?!?!)
  2. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

Don't know how much calcium is in that mix, but I would guess that about 13 to 15 lbs should get ya pretty close for 5 gals. if it was just straight salt then 11 to 12 pounds. Don't be shy when applying it it can take a good bit sometimes to melt ice.
  3. leon

leon Senior Member

brine etc.

just remember the water will boil when the chloride flakes enter the water and stay away from it.
  4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Boil? Are you exaggerating? Or are you trying to stress the importance of caution when using this product? Just curious?
  5. leon

leon Senior Member

No I am not exagerating regarding this :waving:

More the point of the chemical reaction when the flakes enter the water as well as the fumes.

that temperature would amount to a simmering boil if it was continous-not that its and issue

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  6. deicepro

Huh...I've never had mine boil, It hits 160 degrees, but never "boils"
  7. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I think you should make the salt brine and ca/cl brine in separate batches, then mix the two liquids.
  8. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Should i boil the water first or pour cold into a 5 gallon bucket then add 13lbs of cal. and salt blend (action melt) in??????
  9. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

Don't boil it. Just add the salt and calcium mix in and find a way to keep it aggitated for about 25 to 30 mins and you should be good.just make sure you disolve the whole 13 pounds.
  10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

So how would one go about actually knowing what the finish product is ?

It seems there are very specific ratio's that need to be followed to produce either "salt brine" or liquid mag, or cal. From my experience a weak mixture is useless.
    From what I have read any cal over 33% is gonna bring on headaches and heartaches as well. The 26-27% range of cal is a real good ratio (no worries about dropping out in extreme cold, an dstill very effective in sub zero temps) , and really not hard to duplicate in small batches with cal. pellets.
    As far as boiling cal pellets in a garbage can, it happens all the time when I mix the materials. Its not a rolling boil, but the mixture is bubbling. Never bothered to stick a thermometer in it.

Make sure you put a lid on the storage container for what ever ya brew up as well :nod:
  11. deicepro

Thats the million dollar question......
    Check it with a hydrometer
    Reference to a chart
    Correct for temperature( this is more important than you might think )
    Adjust mix as necessary

Just guess:dizzy:
  12. T-MAN

My question is- If you have no idea what the ratio of pellets and flake is in that blend, how would you read it with a hyrdometer ? It is probably 90%sodium, but that is a stabbing as well.
    And Can you "read" a blend on a hyrdometer ? Especially if you have no clue what the percentage of the dry material is :confused:

De-Icepro what would ambient temp have to do with the finished product ? If I use X#s of dry with a pre determined gallons of water it seems to be pretty simple recipe with cal pellets. There is nothing left at the bottom from 98% pellet. No waste/sludge like sodium brine. So pardon my ignorance, but I would think the finished weight of a gallon would be consistent with a hydrometer ? At least within 1%. Not sure how air temp would effect the mix ?
    Please elaborate :confused:
  13. leon

leon Senior Member

You need a saline refractometer to start
    the process and calculate the saline
    concentration to

The salime brine will need to be fully
    diluted by water.

The CC mix would have to fully diluted
    and mixed to disolve in an aqeous solution
    prior to mxing.

The debatre is concentration of both the elements
    by volume.

The amounts used for dust control using calcium
    chloride suld be sufficient for mixing with a salt solution for

The "Caviat Emptor" Buyer Beware part of this alchemy is
    simply one of dilution and loss where if the mix was spread
    it would be helped by the use of mason sand applied during
    or after the application of the deicing liquid

I will find it in my records and post it for use by the members

14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Hardly seem worth all the trouble....why not just buy what you need???
  15. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I said that in a thread a week or so ago...I got spanked....:dizzy:
  16. T-MAN

The same can be said for "why bother with liquid", just spread a lil more white salt when you need too.
    Or if you have no storage tanks, to keep a supply on hand, thats a good reason. Or if you have no were to store a tank half full or a way to move it off season, thats probably a good reason too.
    Not everyone has yard space or indoor storage to keep adequate supplies of everything on hand. However The ability to whip up 30 gallons of liquid cal, on short order, is probably a good thing for some.
    I dont use that much liquid each event if any. However for extreme cold temps, I like to have that option available without keeping a tote or 2 around.
  17. T-MAN

So will the refractor meter be able to read both solutions already blended ?
    How does sand help de-iceing ?
  18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

No need to over think this or over react....the op only wants 5 gallons. :dizzy:

5 gal = $1.75
  19. T-MAN

Actually I dont think I overreacted. My response IMO was valid.
    The "not really" quote is actually not really accurate either, for a generalized blanket statement. If you spread 1 ton of salt per event why not just spread another 600#s for cold weather ? Seems pretty straight forward to me, rather then messing around with refractory meters, and storage tanks.

Not sure what your spreading at .35 cents a gallon, (purchased in 5 gallon increments) but my guess would be water ? :drinkup:
  20. leon

leon Senior Member

The saline refractometer will give you the saline concentration ANd I believe it has to be recalibrated for calcium chloride.

Thsand is both a traction aid and it holds the liquids in place.creating a small barrier to the liquid and from washing away.:)