1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to make it work?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bobcat s-160, Sep 23, 2011.

1. bobcat s-160

bobcat s-160 Senior Member
    from MI

I had a classic mount meyer blade on my truck, sold the blade but kept all the wiring on the truck. I''ve been looking for a meyer blade for quite a while and not having much luck finding one. I found a western blade for sale. how much work is it to make this work on my truck? would I have to take all of the meyer wiring off and put the western wiring in?
    Here is the blade
  2. JTPlowDog

JTPlowDog Junior Member
    from N/A

Looks like a Western UniMount Standard. In order to get your truck outfitted with with the correct mount and harnesses, go to http://www.westernplows.com/wp/showroom/quickmatch.php

You will enter your specific vehicle information and be asked to select a plow model. Since the standard is no longer manufactured the next closest plow model weight wise is a mid-weight/straight blade.

You will then be given your mount and wiring information with part #'s. You have the option when veiwing the part #'s whether you want 3-port or relay wiring. If you select to go with 3-port wiring, plow side will also have to be converted to isolation module.

The mount part # will need a UniMount conversion kit #27170
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The Myer hardware will all have to come out. As explained above, use quick match to find your new part numbers. Quick match offers the option for the old four port isolation module (device that switches the headlamps from the truck to the plow) only for backward compatibility. Since you are buying new harnesses take the default three port module as it is the newest design.

This is all assuming that your used Western plow is an Ultra mount with the three plug wiring system. If the plow is very old it might be a uni mount in which case you will have to buy an ultra mount vehicle mount with an adapter to uni. Also, some older straight blades had only two plugs. They had a power plug and a combined control and light plug. If this is the case you have no choice but to change it over to the three plug system so you will need plow side cables too. There are also very new plows with a two plug system but they are different; they are what we call multiplex. The newer MVP plus and the wide-outs are multiplexed. You can identify them by the round black plastic shroud around the pump / valve body assembly. This system is a whole other ball game again.

We could give you more detailed help if you could identify the plow a bit better. First, is it unimount or ultra mount? Next, is it a straight blade, a V blade or a wide-out? And finally how many plugs does it have to connect to the truck?

You really should identify the plow before you commit to it because it may not be on the recommended list for your truck. To verify your truck is a compatible match go back to quick match and plunk in your vehicle specs. Then when it asks you what kind of plow you want to install make sure your plow is listed there. This is important because most dealers won't sell you the parts to install your plow unless it is on the recommended list. The problem is liability. If they sell you parts for a non-recommend application and you get involved in a collision they could be held partially responsible for damages. Lots to consider. If you want more help just give us the details about the plow and more about the target truck. Make, model, year, cab type, eng size, dual or single axel etc. Or just post the VIN and we can look up all the pertanent details.