1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to make a contract?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cmac14, Sep 30, 2015.

1. cmac14

cmac14 Junior Member

I'm new to the business. I'm still in the Army (I have 2 years left) I plan on taking over a lawncare\ landscaping business from the father in law once I get out. However I want to get into the snow plowing. Yes I know I still have 2 more years lol. However, I'm trying to get everything ready and all the crinks worked out before I get there. I want to hit the ground running once I get into MI, I.E. Contracts, flyers for advertisement, flyers and more thing. I read a lot of threads and I see everyone talking about contracts. I'm a little confused on how these contracts look and what to put in it. Do any of your guys mind sharing what your contract look like? I'd like to go from there and edit it how I'd want mine. Thanks gents!
  2. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Here you go this is mine for Commercial.

I put it together myself and had a lawyer check it out last year to make sure it was legal, he cleaned it up a little changing the lang in section 7. Indemnification and the bottom where I sign, I had to put By, (my name), Member because I am a LLC.
    Everything else was good to go according to him.

While this is good in CT it does not mean it is good in your State.
    Use it at your own risk.

And if you do, check with a lawyer in your state to make sure its okay to use.

Because I always get asked about this:

One thing you will notice is there is Two exhibit B's for pricing.

One is for per storm by inch and the other seasonal.

I just keep the pricing the client wants and delete the other one.

There will be those that say my contract is way too long, but I cover every base and I am covered.

Attached Files:

3. cmac14

cmac14 Junior Member

Wow that is very long! But it's very good! For your exhibit B, what is the difference for the Bs? I figure since it was a contract than it would be seasonal regardless? I figured per storm you wouldn't need a contract since it's not a everytime thing? I guess I'm trying to say is, I'm a little confused why you have two exhibits Bs if you have a contract and you go out to there house every storm so what's the difference between the 2? My question might not make since. Sorry.
  4. MSsnowplowing

This is for commercial clients, hotels, gas stations, condos, church's, etc...
    So yes it is everytime it snows.
    No confusion and everything is spelled out.
    Not all commercial does seasonal, I have a few that do per storm.

As for residential I might have one, I only have 2 that I plow and its verbal I prefer commercial plus everyone and their brothers have plows here so residential is low in pricing. I would have to plow almost 10 to equal my lowest commercial for pricing.
  5. cmac14

cmac14 Junior Member

Do you mind if I hear that residential too? I figured since I'm just getting my feet wet I can do residential( dad gets asked every year if he can do his residential customers driveways. 30 is the least they charge for the small driveways(not including salt and sand). I want to get 1 or 2 commercials (small lots):
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  6. MSsnowplowing

Here you go the residential.
    Just condensed, again spells out everything so there is no confusion.
    No He said, she said.

I don't use it much, only for first time customers then after that just verbal.

But I only do 2-3 residential and been doing the same ones now for over 3 years, If I was doing a lot of them, I would use this.

Attached Files:

7. MSsnowplowing

then there is this one I keep at least 5 copies in my truck at all times.

this is for the wave downs and emergency calls.

Basically one shot plows.

The person signs this or I drive off.

Then when I get home, I file it and keep it for two years just in case.

All about C.Y.A.

Attached Files:

8. cmac14

cmac14 Junior Member

you opened up my eyes! thanks for getting me on the right step
  9. Travisvt

Travisvt Junior Member

Hi MSsnowplowing
    Hope you doing mind me chiming in but I am also trying to get a small amount of residential accounts this season and live in Western ct. I am curious if you wouldn't mind helping me with pricing and how you actually price a residential driveway? I see on your contract you have a $100 for 2"-6" & $150 for 7-12" Do you keep it pretty standard like that even for a big driveway vs. a small one?

10. MSsnowplowing

Well that is the price I charge for one of my resident.
    75 to plow and 25 for the sidewalk.
    Driveway is about 4 car length double wide.

But I'm a bit high in my price for my area

Other guys well do the same for 50-75.

I only do 2 resident, and tell them every year to shop around, but they keep signing with me because I show up no matter what.

All I can tell you is it depends on the driveway.
    Price can range from 25 up to 200 just for plowing.
    Normal 1 car driveway 25
    300 foot driveway with a huge turnaround 200
  11. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

I do not do residential except for a select few. I use no contract just verbal. Around here most people want you to plow at 3 inches. As stated above you have everybody and there brother fighting over driveways and doing them for $20.00 or $600.00 for season till they have one break down. Then they are no shows with no backup plan.

I get calls all the time. I have a $50.00 minimal at 3 inches for a driveway. This is what you get. Wow The last guy I had was $20.00 or $600.00 for the season. MS has a well written contract and spells it out for your customer.

30 driveways $20.00 apiece possibly 8hrs or more $600.00 gross. $600.00 per season x 25 this amounts to $24.00. For me the labor would be $160.00.

I wish you the best and absorb all the wisdom you can from this forum.