1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to make a 7.5 blade work GREAT on a big truck.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by aeronutt, Dec 20, 2008.

1. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Back in September, I got a smokin' deal on a 2 year old Boss Super Duty plow including the mount, wiring harness, and help installing it. When I bought the plow I thought it was an 8-foot blade, but I obviously need better glass because I didn't notice the little sticker that says 7' 6" until after the whole thing was mounted up. :realmad:

Most of the advise from this forum was suggesting that 8.0 might be a little on the small side for my extended cab long-bed truck so I knew the 7.5 was going to be tough to live with. Fortunately, I figured out a neat little modification that cost me about $100 and a couple bottles of Warsteiner beer. This is the way Boss should build them to start with!

It's 9' 3" wide now and for those with a sharp eye who notice the cutter edge snafu, don't worry, I'll be bolting on a new edge next week. The welded-on plate of 1/4" was just a temporary solution until I could pick up a new main cutter edge.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

nice job who welded up the wings?
  3. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

It was a joint effort between myself and a buddy who worked in shipbuilding for a year. We used all scrap metal that I had laying around the garage except for the new cutter edges that I'll install next week. You can see one of them laying on the floor in the third picture as background clutter.

I was worried about getting too much angle so I went with 22 degrees. If I had it to do again, I'd go with 30.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Looks nice.

How well does the plow trip now?..since you are using metal for your wing edges.
  5. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I'm impressed, no duct tape was used.
  6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

kinda like a permanent pro wing. tell us how it holds up.
  7. WIplower

WIplower Junior Member

Looks very nice. I'd like to do the same to my 7.5, but want to make the wings removable. I guess I'll have to pick up some material and go over to a buddy's house and start fabbing.

BTW, I have a CC LB truck.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

thats nice! I have a couple of their 7'6" and an 8 footer and getting a 9 footer... if i had those type of welding skills and fabrication, id surely modify the 8 or even the 9 footer like you did, thats nice work!
  9. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

For the benefit of anyone considering this modification:

If I were to do it all over again, I compiled a few tricks that would make "version 2" better plus a few things I did right that I wouldn't change.

1) The angle would be 30 degrees rather than 22.

2) The outer rib would be tilted in 30 degrees so it's parallel with the factory ribs and welded 1 inch away from the outer edge. Right now, it's about 2 inches away (increases chance of damage) and perpendicular to the wing which presents a lot of side area to rub curbs when angled forward. This would require doing some fancy cardboard template work to get the right curvature rather than just copying the factory ribs.

3) I started the project intending to make them removeable, but the snow forecast changed my timeline and I had to say "just weld it up!" It would be nice to have a quick release so I'm not so wide when driving to jobs, but I haven't found any situation at the jobsite that would be better without the wings so I guess detachable falls into the "nice to have, but probably not worth the effort" category.

4) No flimsy 1/4 inch mild plate for cutter edges. They folded back and ground off quickly when I started bumping curbs. Use minimum 3/8, preferably 1/2 inch. Bladescape2 asked about trip action with metal edges: I didn't notice any bad manners. It folded forward nicely when I started trying to push frozen sleet and actually seemed to have a nicely controlled scraping action that loosened it up since the middle of the blade was carried about an inch higher as the plow started to trip. It was a self-regulating balance between slipping and biting. The second pass scraped it clean and then I was able to start windrowing with 1/2 blade passes.

5) The 1.5 x 1/4" wall square tube that extends the main frame beam at the bottom works great, but for those who believe in excessive overkill a chunk of 1/4 inch plate closing up the gap down there between the tube and the back of the moldboard would remove all doubt. The round tube halfway up that joins the factory rib to the new rib makes a great handle and adds a lot of stiffness. Very good to have that just the way it is.

6) When heating a line with the torch and bending the 11 ga sheet back over the top of the rib tips, heat the line a little lower than you think it should be. I ended up with a bit of gap due to the line creeping up.

7) Amature welders take note! Do not make any welds longer than 2 inches. I used a back-stitching technique to minimize heat stresses and cracking on the moldboard joint. For those who don't know, it's simply doing short welds from point 2 to 1, then 4 to 3, then 6 to 5, etc. and then going back to fill in 3 to 2, 5 to 4, etc. If you do it right, the final weld looks almost like a continuous weld, but has very little heat stress to lead to cracking. For the rib connections, it's actually better not to fill in the entire seam but to leave some areas unwelded just like the factory did on the rest of the plow.

8) There is such a thing as "too much of a good thing". Final width of my wings ended up at 11 inches each. I wouldn't recommend going much over that. Maybe 13 as an absolute max if you do it to a 7.5 plow. The wider you go the more stress it adds. Making them just 8 inches would be wide enough to make it worth the trouble.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  10. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

plow wing.jpg

I did something simular to a 8'-2" v plow and made it 10' -2". Made it heavy but lasted 3 years so far.

plow wing.jpg
  11. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

looks awsome i am in the process of pretty much the same thing for my x blade