1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How To Magic

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Waterchikn, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

I did do a search, but didn't find what I was looking for, or didn't look hard enough. Anyhow, I have a couple questions about this "Magic Salt" It seems like a no brainer, but I was wondering where to get it in SE Lower Michigan??? Can I use bagged salt and spray this into my hopper with a positive result? I am sure there is a post that I missed with all this info, i just didn't see it...
    thanx all in advance..........

2. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

You can have it delivered to your door anywhere around here. I know there has been talk about applying it in tailgate hoppers, and I think maybe it was allen in the past who tried messing around with that, but I dont think anyone has been sucessful in developing a pre-wet system in a tailgate spreader.

We just use bagged magic through our tailgates, and it works great. I have absoulutely no corrosion issues, and have had very good luck spreading in a single stage with no vibrator. Only occasionally do I need to shake the truck a little to get the salt to drop into the auger. I usually am putting only 350-400 lbs at a time in it though, since that is the average for my banks, docs offices, etc., and 90 % of the time it all feeds through with no issues. It feeds much better than when I was using regular bagged rock salt.

3. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

I only have a single stage spreader too. Speedcaster. It works well with regular salt and I was thinking of one of those things that you pump up the handle and it builds pressure, like for killing weeds and things like that. Getting one of those things and putting the "Stuff" in there, loading say a bag or to of salt into the hopper (50#) and then spraying the "Stuff" on there. Maybe I am missled, but it seems like it would work.?>.?
    Whats the price difference between that magic and say like morton?

4. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I had one of the sprayers you're talking about, we used it to spray walks. Be careful of what the nozel is like on the end. Magic isn't the thinest thing and I also found some small pieces of something in it that used to constantly clog it. You can get an atv sprayer from northern tools for around $70 will work off the truck and is a whole lot easier.
    Casey