1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to lose a customer

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by the05goat, Dec 15, 2013.

1. the05goat

the05goat Member

As stated u have to customers who are more harm than good to my route, how do you essentially drop them, I don't wanna not show because I don't think that's right, should I tell them my prices are going up to hope they drop? As always any help is appreciated
  2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Tell them that their property is outside of your service area at this point and that they either will need to find someone else or need to fork over more cash. Most will tell you happy holidays and be gone
  3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

what ever you do, dont do it it a way that will outrage then(ie not showing) raising rates alot aint good for your name either, do it in a way that you dont get a terrible name by doing it.
  4. the05goat

the05goat Member

Yea I would never pull a no show, I guess maybe I can tell them I'm no longer in the area or I'm moving or something like that
  5. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

This :nod:
  6. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Just be honest. Say we are no longer able to service your house because of area or whatever reason you want to use. Just don't tell them the day it is supposed to snow.
  7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Just tell them that you are no longer able to service your property. If they as why, say they are out of your service area. Simple as that.
  8. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Answers above will all work good. Just wondering what they are doing that make you want to drop them?
  9. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

and let them find someone else cause if you recommend someone else that guy is gonna wonder why your giving them away .
  10. the05goat

the05goat Member

Yeah exactly I wouldn't recommend my headache to someone else, I will do them Tuesday if we get snow again and after that tell them I'm not going to be in that area anymore.
  11. shooter56

shooter56 Member
    from ct

I had a cutomer that there driveway is so bad that my plow catches the tar at the end and will get stuck, I told them I will not plow your driveway anymore because I may damage the state road and my plow unless they fix it. They said ok bye.
  12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Or, if you're lucky you can figure out they're a problem before you take them on as a customer....

I get a call last night about 7:00pm. The woman on the phone tells me she would like me to come over to look at her job and give her an estimate, and when can I do it?

I ask her to describe the job, and give her a "ballpark".

She immediately tells me that

"Oh, you're way too expensive. I always get at least 5 estimates and I already have a couple that are way lower than you are."

I said "thank you for calling, and have a nice day.."

13. starspangled6.0

starspangled6.0 Senior Member

^^ Those are blessings in disguise, I think. Clients like that are nothing but trouble in the long run, so it's best to not have them at all, IMO.
  14. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

From a favorite movie, "Maybe we as officers have a responsibility to this country to see that the men and women charged with its security are trained professionals."

How about educating the customers first about why the situation is such a problem (whether it be the customer, the driveway, the location, etc). Either address things that CAN change from their end, or identify the things you CAN'T change and what it will take to make it worthwhile. Many times it comes down to money. A PIA place can be tolerable for more money, so maybe find the sweet spot & pitch that to the customer. Then it becomes THEIR choice to keep you, but you win either way.

I'm not a fan of dropping customers immediately if less drastic ways have been overlooked. The sphincter factor should be apparent early, but when all else fails, do like others have said & say that you're no longer able to service that area (just don't be caught working for the neighbor!)