1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to load V box spreader in Truck!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gottaluvplows, Oct 16, 2009.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Im just curious to how you guys out there load your V box Spreaders in your Pick-up's and dumps??
    Are you guys more of the Manual Lifting or the Crane type!?!
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I built a stand out of 2x4' and plywood, when i get done i back upto the stand, unstrap and push the vbox out of my truck bed and onto the stand, then drive away. takes me close to 5 mintues to load and go or unload and go, 1 guy...but that's a poly spreader;)

Couple buddies of mine built A frames with chain hoists and just back under them, lift, go and then stabilize the box until needed later, or they install all winter and never remove.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I use the skid steer. Before I had it I set up some boat winches on 4 trees. Back in and crank it up.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

When I had a Vbox, I bought from a local who used a wheel loader. I tried loading by had from my own pile once. Too much like work, so I bought a tractor with a loader.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Funny. What do you use now? Under tailgate?
  6. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Sold it and truck it was on. I don't do any sanding, anymore. It was a big money loser around here. One of those ideas I had that should have paid off, but didn't.
  8. 4Seasonsmgt

4Seasonsmgt Junior Member

bought a smaller tractor like a 3520 to handle some of that small stuff
  9. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Skid steer and A frames
  10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I help my uncle put his in his dump trucks every year and we use his excavator, it wicks realy slick. But if you don't have an excavator a tractor or a skid steer should work fine.
  11. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

i have a swenson v box and i put it in my truck with my wrecker xysport
  12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The sander stays on the truck year round.
    If I had to take it off I would use the skid.
  13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

used to use a SS, sometimes the forklift, and once in a great while the telehandler....now it's bolted to the frame and stays on year round....just use your loader at your salt bin
  14. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

The swenson diamond myers sander have a V plate in the sander to chain onto. One word of caution is to make sure the mounts there are not rusted thin. Got one that let go, good thing it was still on the supports when it happen. I then used trucker straps and went around the underneath of the sander with two belts and loaded it with my tractor.
  15. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Used this gantry I've had for years. Had 8 ft. steel v-box gasser. Secured sander to 4 posts when not in use. Worked great for flatbed, but when I got the pickup I had to contort myself when unhooking sander in truck.

16. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

backhoe and chain back the truck under
  17. gottaluvplows

You keep them in year round!?!
    If you dont mind, How many trucks do you have and what do you do for a living??
  18. gottaluvplows

Thanks VERY great Ideas i think im going to some how lift it up with the skid for the V box's .I just have to figure out how to lift it up with the skid....WITH OUT damaging the Spreader
  19. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

If you dont have the lift, and have some property build a burm with the skidsteer or some blocks that you can the truck along side, and then drive the skid steer up the hill and lift it from there, just a thought.
  20. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Fork Extensions?? easier and alot of other uses for them too. We've always just welded 3/8" chain hooks on the outside of each fork near the mounting plate, and then welded a short section of chain to the fork side of the fork extensions, this way when you pull out the forks dont stay with the load.