1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to load it all...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIDTOWNPC, Mar 17, 2007.

1. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

We are already getting calls for next year adding contracts and trying to plan on how we could handle everything. We currently run
    2001 dodge with western blade and tornado sander.
    1999 dodge for sidewalk guys with shovels and pails of salt and the snow blower
    s300 bobcat

We are going to put a blade on the 99 and probably going to add another sander. That would give us 2 twin trucks and the bobcat, but I would like to send out 2 guys in 1 truck, one guy hops out and does the sidewalk while the other plows and then sands. I need to find a way to get the snow blower on the truck with the sander on there. The places are a bit of a drive away and the sidewalks take about as much time as the plowing and sanding. Anyone got any setups or pictures. I have seen some trailer hitch attachments for handicap scooters and thought maybe I could rig something like that up. I dont need to spread sand when the snow blower is on board but if I could without filling it with sand that would be nice. Lifting it up isnt a problem cause there would be two guys. Any ideas would be great, men.

2. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Use a 3650 Toro single stage paddle blower. I've used it on foot deep snow and it's awesome. It's also light enough to lift in and out of truck from the side with one man.

:)

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I'd second that. This year I added an older Toro CCR2000 that I picked up from an old lady for $300, and I can't say enough good things about it. It is the forerunner to the 3650 mentioned above, more or less the same machine. Used it last night to clear 16" high drifts off my commercial sidewalks, worked like a champ! Doesn't throw as far as a two stage but for most purposes it doesn't need to, in this case it throws onto the lot where the truck's blade can grab it. Done.

One man can throw it over the side of a pickup no problem. I don't think two could do it very easily with my big MTD.

4. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

For what its worth I concur with Derek and Duracutter. We leave the old Western salter on the back of one truck all winter. The driver just leans the Toro climbs into the box and pulls the thrower up and over the side and bungee's it into place.

5. heather lawn spray

Derek, I'm afraid to ask. . .
    Where did you get 16" drifts from the other night. All we got was a centimeter and that melted by noon the next morning in the sun. I heard rumors that Hamilton got hit hard.

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I am only responsible for the sidewalks and such on one property, its a grocery store with a flat roof. The main sidewalk runs along the west side of the property, and just the way the winds swirl there it always builds large drifts like that at the south-west end. They were taller than the snowblower in some places.

The rest of the lot had the better part of 6" of wet packing snow... the kind that when you windrow it, it rolls up into balls off the side of the blade--not much fun. At one point it at around 5am, it was coming down faster than I could plow... and me without my helper that night!

7. MIDTOWNPC

hmmm

I am going to take some measurements and try and figure out a way to sneak a snowblower in beside the western tornado even if I have to off center it. You can see the back of the truck in this pic. Maybe I could even leave the tailgate on and then I would have 2 ft infront of the sander. Im in the market for a blower, I'll take your guys considerations and look them up.

HPIM1393.jpg

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

blower loader

blue ox (Automatic equipment) makes a platform lift for the receiver hitch that has a ramp built in that you can drive the blower on model sc5000 26x59 platform 350 lb cap model sc5001 32x5p platform 500 lb cap model sc5002 26x67 platform 350 lb cap www.blueox.us/carriers/mobility.htm

9. heather lawn spray

It's a bit of a radical solution but have you thought of converting the pick-up to a flat deck configuration? We've done that with our '96 & '06. You're not going to find one in the commercial truck body market but a competent welder can fabricate one

10. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Also in terms of adding length to the vehicle, some guys have enough trouble handling trucks, plows, and sanders without adding 2 feet in the rear (don't know your crew, so I can't make any speculations). The tailgate idea/moving spreader out a little might not be bad. Do you absolutely need the second spreader, or might the first truck handle it? Do you need a full spreader, or would a smaller one work? Just trying to give alternatives

11. MIDTOWNPC

good point

I guess I could get a smaller spreader but basically the new contracts are in another town and we are picking up business there so having another spreader would be best. Thanks guys

12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

The smaller spreader might have made sense, but not for expansion in another town. In that respect, it certainly makes the most sense to do it right the first time. You might have a good idea with pushing the spreader out to the end of the tailgate, though I wonder what the weight on the gate is. One thing that would do is keep salt spray further away from the truck body/undercarriage. Any possibility you could create a mount for the side of your spreader, maybe resting on the bed rail? It might accommodate a small Toro.

It was mentioned about removing the bed. I hear it's not as radical as people once thought. If it's your dedicated plow truck, you might consider it. That does a couple things for you: flat place for your spreader, bigger area to possibly store a few tools & a snowblower, and it gets your bed out of the elements. When you're ready to trade the truck in 5 years, flatbed comes off, factory bed is back in in perfect condition, like you never worked with it (because you didn't!). Don't know what diamond plate bodies run (or something else covered in Line X), but it could be worth a phone call

13. heather lawn spray

Tailgate spreader and bulk salt and a shovel, the view isn't as restricted as a full size spreader. We have been running a full size spreader and an ancient stainless steel Western tailgate spreader for years. If you take away the extra weight of the larger spreader you can increase the salt payload. A '2 cubic yards,level with the top of the box load' is as much as a SRW pick-up will handle. The smaller salter can actually go further before returning to refill. We ended up modifying the smaller salter so it spreads farther faster, so it will cover more area per minute. In this case you just bury the little Toro thrower in the corner. If you are going with a two man crew with spreader and thrower you can fall back to an old 'NOT RECOMMENDED' technique we used to use, a driver and a stoker. Two of us once laid down 10 tonnes of salt in a night during an ice storm back when it was our ONLY salter, switching driver and stoker positions after a couple of loads.

For doing it cheap tailgate and bulk in the box. For doing it properly flat deck and full size. Right now you are 6 of one & half dozen of the other in this configuration.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007