1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to leave a sub contractor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jayman3, Jun 3, 2007.

1. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

I have been working for this guy for three years now and he wants me back again this coming season.I plow with my f350 and my 580 super m he wants me to take on some sidewalks this year and possibly another piece of equipment,so my question is if I am goin to do this should I just go out and get my own contracts or stay with him,he is a good guy to work for I work by contract with him not by the hour so I get paided either way.I just don,t want to bid any properties that he bids on in-case I would need him again in the future.
  2. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I'd talk it over with him and tell him you'd like to go and have a few of your own contracts and maybe still help him on the side to keep a constant cash flow comming in?

I think if you were open about it he wouldn't mind.Bid the jobs as they'd cost you and forget what everyone else is bidding since everyone has different costs.

Good luck hopefully you can have your cake and eat it too tymusic
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

You need to think long and hard. Not trying to discourage you. When you have the contracts there is alot that goes into them, advertising, sales meetings, bidding, service after intial plowing, repair at end of season, etc. Somtimes it is (or would be) eaiser to "just go do the plowing" if you will. I can't tell you how many times I have been woken up a 7am, after being out all night salting because a 3 inch contract (which I had checked) has 2 inches on it & Mrs. Jones or Mr Smith calls the mgmt. co. to complain that it needed to be plowed & wasn't, & I get stuck going out to double check myself (just in case). From what I have been told the largest contractor in the area is paying about 70-80% of his hourly rate to his subs (number I extraplated from bidding against him, so are educated estimates). Some of the other contractor are simply quiting bidding, just going to plowing for him & he pays in 2 weeks.
  4. mgf250

mgf250 Member

start your own

Just tell him that you decided to start your own business. You will not bid on his current accounts or take requests from his current accounts. You will be available for subcontract work if your schedule allows.