1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to know when to go

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stud Bro, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

Just a quick question what do you guys do as far as knowing if it snows at night do you get up during the night and check or just trust the weather men to tell you if its going to snow. normally we never have an issue but once a year there will be a 10% chance of snow and we will get 2 inches between midnight and 2 AM. let me know thanks
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Trust the weatherman 110%:waving:
    When was he wrong!:confused:
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

The difference between a sub-contractor and a primary
    The sub contractor gets to sleep until called, the primary gets to wake up every hour and see what is up. (or down in this case)
    trust the weathermen, tht's pretty sad.
  5. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

you have to be your own weatherman...

which means understanding radar patterns

amongst many other things
  6. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I listen to the weatherman, I look at the radar myself, I also get up about an hour after the time he says it is suposed to start. If its not then I go back to bed for a couple hours. If it is but not ready yet I will have coffee, watch TV, snooze on the couch in front of the Tv is more like it. Do billing or something for a while.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

After a couple times of trusting the weatherman and getting caught, you'll learn to be a weatherman yourself. You'll get a site that shows weather radar and learn to read it. You'll think about getting gimmicks that are supposed to alert you to snowfall and depth. You'll decide that the best thing they're good for is making somebody else money. You'll start developing an internal alarm clock that wakes you at 2:00 to check the ground outside and then every hour till you get up for good. Then you'll start thinking "Why did I ever want to plow snow to start with?". Then the checks come in and you say "Oh, yeah, that's why.".

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have mentioned it before but one thing I do I get to know the girls that work the local coffee shop. They call my cell if we get any accumulation so when they call we head there first and get our coffee and tip them $20. They love it we love it and it gives us a little extra saftey net. We live a little outside of where we plow so sometimes it can be a bit different in town vs out of town. I use the enviroment canada website and watch the radar on the computer. I also set my alarm every few hours and I am pretty good at falling back asleep once I get up and check. I also have a camera (webcam/security cam) at one place that posts to the internet that I can log into and check. I sometimes check weather websites for other surrounding areas and see what it blowing in. We also have our sites charted that must be open at different times. Some are zero tolerance, some 4am, then 6am 8am 9 and some 10am. 2am is usually my get up time to check
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with Mick. My sleep patterns are a disaster in the winter. I seem to nap a lot, my wife loves it!:sleeping:
  10. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Weather man?? That is funny. Low pressure to me means my nail gun doesn't set nails all the way....

I do know that dark blue on the radar means more checks in the mail box.....

We do watch the weather but more for the radar, and watch continuously throughout the nite. I also clear a spot on the deck so I can sorta judge snowfall amount.

We get alot of lake effect in this area and sometimes a "dusting" forcast leads to 6", so being the primary person, I just usually get to sleep in the summer months.
  11. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

NEVER trust the weatherman!!! Just like everyone else said above, you have to be your own weatherman. I'm constantly checking and watching the radar too. I turn into an insomniac on snow nights and get up about every hour to see what's going on outside.

The saying here in Colorado is "If you don't like the weather...wait 10 minutes and it'll change." That's why weathermen are useless in our part of the country.
  12. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

the weatherman thats a great idea espically when you are only supposed to get a dusting and you wake up in the morning to find that all of your accounts have called to complain that they have not been plowed out so if you think that trusting the weather man is a good business practice then so be it but i learned the hard way
  13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ahhh, those 6" dustings.:dizzy: I seem to get two or three of those every winter. They can be a nice surprisepayup, but frustrating if you aren't on guard.
  14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Or just the opposite your expecting 6 inches and you get worked up and only a dusting shows up. The weathermen tell you the wind shifted .
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  15. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Screw being your own weatherman...just cozy up to someone who works the graveyard shift at a gas station and have them call you when it snows. Pay them for their troubles ($20) and they'll be your best friend in the winter. Just make sure you have coverage all 7 days of the week.
  16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

The night before I will look at all the weather maps, radar, forecast, etc. and kinda judge when to set the alarm and then it's up every hour to check it. Also, I will have the county 911 dispatchers call me if need be to wake me up....or set off our paging tones...;)
  17. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

thats a damn good idea!
  18. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Aside of waking up and checking, I listen for the town plows. If I hear them rolling, I am DEFINITLY rolling. I look outside and check the depth of the trip edge in the snow, that gives me a good guage of whats out there. In terms of the weather men....you can listen to them, but you have to hear the opposite of what they are saying.
  19. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks! :waving:
  20. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

What I do is get up when the guessers say it is going to start snowing. If nothing is happening, I look at the radars make a judgement call. I then lay back down for 1 1/2 hours and get up and check again. if it is white outside then I get a move on and if not back to bed for another nap.