1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to keep recoil from freezing on a exposed motor

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Young, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We're switching our electric motor from our liquid set up to a gas motor. The gas motor we use to load with has had a frozen recoil and we're forced to use the electric motor which takes 23 minutes compared to 2 minutes with the gas engine. How do I keep this new motor from doing the same thing. I was thinking just a simple enclosure but dont want the engine to overheat while running for longer periods.

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Can you just pour or spray some windshield washer fluid on it to unfreeze it when it does?

3. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

Maybe just a simple rubber mud flap. Personally I'd build an enclosure like you mentioned with some ventilation.

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

If it just the rope freezing on the starter pulley because it is soaked with water, you can wipe the rope with Pam nonstick spray when it is dry.

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

pull the recoil off, graphite the tangs that come out, reassemble and spray well with silicone

cover it when not in use