1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to keep pistons clean and rust free??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by WhitePlowr, Oct 25, 2011.

1. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

does anyone spray anything on the pistons in the off season and or during the season to keep them from getting rusty but doesnt hurt the seals? thanks

2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I grease them mobil 1 grease. Comes in a can and is red, good stuff. Thumbs Up

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have heard two ideas on that, not sure which is better... Some say keep the cylinders retracted as far as possible and then put grease on what is exposed while others say extend them as far as possible and put grease on the exposed ram. Personally, on my wide-out I put the lift ram down as far as possible and put some light grease on the exposed chrome of the rams. It is important not to leave the lift ram fully extended because the expansion and contraction of the fluid as it heats and cools can blow the gland nut right out the end. The pressure relief valve only affects the pump pressure but once the pump stops and the check valve closes the oil is trapped. When I pull the plow out in fall I wipe the grease off as much as possible so it doesn't pull any dirt into the seals. Of course the angle rams can't be retracted like on a V plow so I just drop it straight so the cylinders are equally exposed. Don't forget to clean out the plugs, put some new, clean dilecteric grease in them and then finally place them in the boot or plug them together depending on your plow. If you have a garage or cement slab this is much better than putting it in the dirt. Grass growing up around it will encourage it to rust faster because of the moisture. And if you cover it with a tarp don't close it completly, leave it open to ventilate or you will have condensation. A tarp is far better than plastic. If it must be on dirt then put some boards under it so the cutting edge is touching the ground. I have a little triangular three wheel cart I set mine on so I can wheel it into a corner and keep it off the ground.

4. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

its on a driveway on up 4" on wood and a nice brown tarp folding down with bunges around the to keep it tight from the wind blowing it off . so there is air circulation from the bottom. you are western installer huh. tell me about the 6.6 std unimount set up lol.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Can't tell you a lot about the old unimounts. I have only been installing for about 5 years so I never got to install a uni new. Have done lots of repairs and vehicle swaps though. I know the ultras pretty much inside out but I rely on the "vetrans" when it comes to details on unis.

6. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

whats the word on the street lol western fisher meyers boss what is selling more these days

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid Film my friend!

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And coat the entire plow, remove and covers FF is safe to use on anything but NATURAL rubber and is a dielectric so no worries. If it's a poly blade, coat the poly with Bullfrog 50spf to protect it from UV rays and keep it from fading or changing color. If you tarp it you need a vent high in the tarp to release moisture. Extending the rams as far as posable will keep the piston's internal bore rust free. If you are storing it for the summer draining the system and filling it as full as possible with Meyer hydra-Flush for the summer will protect, clean and lubricate the internals.