1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to install a traffic advisor/lightbar without drilling

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by bkspear, May 24, 2016.

1. bkspear

bkspear Junior Member

All,
    I have a traffic advisor lightbar that I want to setup in the back of my truck against the rear window. It came with three "L" brackets, but I really do not want to drill any holes in my roof to mount it. Has anyone installed them without drilling? Thanks.

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Pics would help but, go get youself a BackRack. Mount it to that.

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

agreed i have both my LED bar and the arrow stick mounted to the back rack.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  5. tjctransport

i have never seen one of those acari style mounts hold up to any weight. they are ok for a mini bar, but not for an arrow stick or full size bar.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Either magnets to the roof or magnets across rear glass for a no drill application

7. bkspear

bkspear Junior Member

Interesting options. Can you explain how the magnets would work? This is not a light bar that is normally installed on the roof, its a traffic advisor stick. Thanks!

8. Randall Ave

Magnets are not going to work well if it's the size I think it is. Backrack. Then fab a mount to it, easy peasy

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I'm all for backrack.

Buddy has one attached to AL bar, light it bolted to it, and magnets are screwed on on the ends. All depends on cab width between window and cab corners, and of course the magnet pull strength

10. bkspear

bkspear Junior Member

All,
    If it helps, it is a strobesnmore e66 traffic advisor being installed on a 2006 RAM 2500 truck. I really dont have a budget right now for a back rack, so I'm looking for options with what I have and not have to drill holes. Thanks.!

11. Randall Ave

There under 200.00.

12. bkspear

bkspear Junior Member

I am still not sure how the magnets would work? The lightbar does not fit the entire length of my rear window if that helps at all. Or, are you referring to using magnets with a backrack? Thanks.

13. tjctransport

rare earth magnets mounted to the bar, and a set of rare earth magnets on the inside of the glass. once put opposite sides of the glass they hold together. i would not trust them though, i can see them falling down over time scratching the glass.

i make my own light bar mounts out of 1 inch square tube and a piece of 2 inch angle iron to mount it to the bed for around $50. this is before i got the LED bar when it had the jetstrobe bar on it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  14. NorEasterMA

NorEasterMA Junior Member

I'd suggest trying to pull the headliner down a little bit and see what's up there. You may be able to slide the longer end of the L bracket up into the headliner and use a bit of double-stick tape to add grip before reattaching the headliner, then bolt on the E66. I have the same bar on my back rack (it really does fit PERFECTLY onto the uprights), so I know the brackets in question. I've used this technique for my lights in the upper front window, works great.

15. CoastalEVS

CoastalEVS Sponsor
    from NJ

If there are any coat hangers or handles along the back you can easily manufacture brackets that will sandwich between the plastic and the headliner to hold it. If not, and you're not opposed to mounting it in the lower portion of the window you can build brackets that go down to the seat brackets behind the seat back.