1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to info on a blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Psyclopse, Dec 10, 2000.

1. Psyclopse

Psyclopse Member

Last spring I bought a 1988 GMC Sierra 3500 diesel 4x4 with a Western plow. Since it was the summer months, the plow was not on the truck and it ended up getting stolen.

I have searched high and low to find a used blade here in Indiana to no avail. On the internet, I found a place in Mass. that has a variety, and I'll take a trip to get one if I have to.

The problem is, they show different receiver sizes for different Western plows, and I need to know how the receiver is measured (center to center, outside to outside, etc.) Also, what size blade should I be looking at?

I push a pretty large pair of apartment complexes and a bunch of business lots.

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Is the truck older style with the boxy front end, or the newer style?If it has the solid front axel, go with a 9', and if it has a torsion bar front end, stay with a 8.5'.
    Measure center to center where it pins to the truck.I would think that shipping would be less money than driving out and back to buy that plow. Also check your local plow dealers, they may know someone buying ne and will sell the entire plow assembly for the same money as a used blade.
    Dino

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Dino,at this point it sounds like he will take what he can get used and either modify it or live with it wheather it be a 7 1/2 or a 9 ft er.I would be open it other blades as well and get them modified to fit,Id rather have a 9 ft Fisher on there if thats waht's available,than a 7 1/2 western.The cost of making it fit by a welding shop shouild be $100 or less.Good luck finding a blade

4. Psyclopse

Psyclopse Member

Thanks for the replies

My truck is the newer style (like the early 90's) with the tortion bar suspension. I went out and measured the hookup, and it looked to be about 20 inches from center to center (the center of the inverted "U"). If I measure from the outer face of the inside of the "U" to the same on the other side I get about 21 3/8.

Most of the used blades from the place in Mass. are for a 21" receiver (for 7, 7.5, and 8' blades). They did have a couple listed as 20 3/4" and 20 7/8 but they were for the 7 and 7.5' blades. I want to stay with at least 8' or better if I can.

So, I went around looking at the various diagrams on the net to see just what I had. Problem is, most of these diagrams don't show the components that I already have. Over at Plow Parts Warehouse, the diagram called "Western- Old Style Blade & Computer Designed Blade" most closely matched what's on my truck.

The problem with all of the online parts places is they don't tell you the measurement of the A-frame at the reciever end. If they did, I could figure out what I have.

If it helps, the lift is cable operated and it says ISARMATIC LIFT CONTROL Mark IIIa.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Save yourself some time effort and money. Find a used 9' blade any brand, then just adapt the mounting system. Any welder can make it fit, if ya lived in Maine i would help ya do it.

Just trust me on this, adapting a blade is easy and will save you lots of time and effort. I bet a meyer to western is an easy conversion, fisher might be harder, I know Diamond will be a pain, and probably not a goo choice.

I think a meyer, fisher, or a different style western would all work well, and adapt fairly easy.

Geoff

6. Psyclopse

Psyclopse Member

Sounds reasonable

I just want to make sure I am on the same wavelength...

All the places I have found that sell used blades include the A-frame and hydraulic cylinders with the blade. If I am understanding what you say correctly, all I really have to modify is the back of the A-frame where it mounts to the truck's receiver, right? And maybe an adapter for the hose to the cylinder. It seems like everything on the truck now (esp. the lift) would work.

Like mentioned above, I am willing to do whatever it takes to get this rig pushing snow, but I don't want to make any mistakes modifying something either. Sorry if I asked too many stupid questions.

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Hydro hose should connect no problem, wost case is you have to buy some new fitting pretty cheap.

Have a welder change the a-frame for you. They can do it correctly, and it will be strong enough. Most of the time it is easier to change the a-frame rather than your frame kit/ mounts.

ask as many questions as you want.

Geoff

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have adapted many western and meyer plows to fit fisher head frames. Its very easy to do. In fact most western blades will pin right up to meyer head frames.
    Dino

9. BENCO

BENCO Junior Member

JUST BUY A NEW ONE. BETTER NOT TO WORRY ABOUT BREAKING DOWN AND KEEP YOUR BLADE IN THE SNOW.