1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to identify utility trailer axle

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by andyt, Jun 30, 2007.

1. andyt

andyt Junior Member

I picked up a utility trailer two weeks ago. It was advertised as having a single 3500lb axle and when I went to look at it the guy told me again that both the trailers he was selling had 3500lb axles. When I registered it old the registration doc said it was a 909kg (2000lb) trailer and I had them change it. Assumed that the previous owner registered it as a 2000 so it would be a little cheaper. Thought nothing more of it.

Then today I'm rubbing the paint off to give it fresh coat and I find a sticker describing a 2000 lb axle on the front A frame. (guess I should have read that before I bought it)

How can I positivly id the axle. I have loaded the trailer a few times so a GVW of 3500lbs. Axle looked and towed fine. Now I'm worried I got screwed. The axle has the square plate at each end for brakes to be added. Apart from that it looks like a bog rusty axle. It has 14" 5 bolt wheels and the tires are rated for 1800lbs each. The coupler is good for 7000lbs. Trailer is 12'x6' and I know the guy before had used it to haul a small Kubota tractor.

Any held to id the axle would be appreciated. This is the first trailer I have bought, I hope I didnt slip up.

2. andyt

andyt Junior Member

here is the actual trailer

its the one at the top. Seems its only offered with 3500 axle yet the sticker on my a frame said 2000.

whats going on?
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Measure the axle diamiter, a 2000lbs is 1 3/4, a 3500lbs is 2 3/8, a 6000lbs is 3 inch.

There are as always exceptions
  4. andyt

andyt Junior Member

thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I measured and it is indeed 2 3/8".

Also - correction to my earlier post the trailer has 15" 5 on 5 wheels.

So after I took a look at the axle there and then went back to the sticker on the A-Frame, I noticed the 909kg(2000lb) wasnt part of the original sticker. They had been stuck over the top of the original numbers for some reason. I peeled them off and says 3500lb under neath. I don't why someone would do that but its definately 2 3/8. Thank you very much. Weight off my mind.
  5. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

In Canada, any trailer without brakes has a legal GVWR of 2000LBS. All of my single axles have 3500 lb axles, but don't get caught at that weight without brakes.
  6. andyt

andyt Junior Member

I wonder if that is why it was registered and labeled as 2000lb.

I've always thought it better to have it registered as what it is and just dont carry a load that puts it over 2000 due to the lack of brakes. I figured that way if I am ever over weight at least the paper work is correct and I'm only guilty of not having brakes.

If I re-register it as 2000lb and get caught weighing 3000lb I'm guilty of overloading the trailer AND not having brakes.

However if the law says "any trailer without brakes has a legal GVWR of 2000LBS" then even if it has twin 5200lb axles it still has a GVWR of 2000.

I guess the easiest thing to do is get brakes. Then everything is solved.
  7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

And at least in the states, well mine at least, its cheaper to register a smaller, lighter capacity trailer than a bigger HD one.