1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to hook up power with 2 batterys

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mricefish, Dec 29, 2015.

1. mricefish

mricefish Member

I have one more question, putting mounts on a 92 f350. 2 batteries from factory. Adding Boss plow mounts and wires have most of it installed. Now let me know this is right, Red/black power wires from the plug--- red goes to the solenoid big bolt end, black to battery #1 black post. Then out of the solenoid (opposite big bolt end) Red to one of the pos terminals on the battery. But that is what I need to find out which pos battery post #1 or #2?

I find wire diagrams for single battery, do I follow it the same and just pick one of the battery's to use when there is 2 batteries? Know with 2 batteries they need to be hooked up parallel and that all should be done the truck has always had the 2 in it. Just don't want the boss wires to goof things up, or not work.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So pos to pos. And neg to frame, or engine block.
    Any pos battery post will be fine. If you really want to be picky, put the plow cable on the battery that has the alt charge wire.
    And from batt to batt, change the wire to 2g.Or 1/0
    And you want the negative plow wire to goto the negative batt post.
  3. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

charge wire

you may want to increase the gauge of the charge wire also
  4. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Chances are if he has 2 batteries its a diesel and the cable is more than big enough to handle the power..(at least mine is then again I deal with grid heaters) I have my plow hooked up to my pass side battery because thats where I have the solenoid.. Either is fine.. If you want, the alt side is a tad bit better but its not gonna hinder the operation of the plow..
  5. mricefish

mricefish Member

Yes forgot to say this truck that I am putting wires on is a diesel, 2 batteries stock. My other truck is a gas, single battery--easy to figure out pos to pos and neg to neg in that one. But with the diesel I will just pick one of the batteries it and hook it up that way as well. I have not looked at the charge wire but I would think it should be heavy enough to add the plow to the system but will take a look at it tomorrow.
  6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I think I am getting your question here... and I believe this is the answer you are looking for.

The batteries are already tied together from the factory. It is a system, you can connect to any positive and any negative and you will get the same result. You do not need to connect the plow to both the factory wiring already has that covered.