1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to help protect against rust under tgruck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gmcplowtruck, Sep 19, 2008.

1. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck Member

i have an 2001 dodge 2500 that has been used 2 seasons now as my main plow truck and it is gettinmg pretty ruff now i just put a plow and salter in my new 2006 gmc dump for a back up and i dont want it to look like the dodge if i have to use it
    i was going to spray used oil under them but i am going to have to thin the oil with something all suggestions would be apreciated
  2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

go to search (above) and check out Fluid Film, thats what you want, it won't put metal back on your truck but it's the next best thing:nod:

Good luck and welcome to PS.
  3. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

yes fluid film will work wonders
  4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

FF it is. check out the fluid film forum for testimonials and pics.
  5. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Be carefull what you put on the wax undercoat on the GMC , many things will desolve it . Do a test area first , there's nothing but raw steel under it , no primer.
  6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

ive coated mine twice and no problems to report :nod:
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And fortunately FF isn't one of them. :drinkup:

Brake lines are the critical things on these trucks. Make sure you get them coated well from the master cylinder down to the ABS module on the inside of the dr side frame rail. That's where they'll rot off first. Be sure to pull the front plastic skid shield down and get the line going to the right from wheel as well.

Spray away. :waving:
  8. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Good to know !
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Remember don't get the FF on your brake rotors!
  10. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

thats just mean lol
  11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i think the gen 2 dodges (94-01) just had alot of problems with rust. All of mine have the exact same rust in teh exact same spots

get your truck uncoated, and apply sometype of oil to it... i have been spraying mine down with WD 40 , which has worked great in the engine compartment, not so much on the body....

they say FF, i have personally never tried it,.... but im sure its on the list for me this year
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think you should be posting this in the WD-40 Thread.
  13. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i have a thin coat of rhino liner base or something under mine. It isnt actually undercoat but some mix of rhino i had a rhino dealer do. the sides of the truck are rhino half down. had someone scrape it down and do it they covered near the whole underside of the truck. then fluid film, and amsoil metal protector i used to cover what that didnt. seems to all have stayed. sprayed between the bed and cab, in all the body panels too, in the doors, engine compartment, battery area, taligate, and all the little gaps, taillight and headlight sockets, etc. (im a little ocd). only issue i have is i sprayed too much of the amsoil and it came out of the cracks and crevices in the truck and dries piss yellow. also the rocker panels where you step in and out. piss yellow too and the stuff doesnt come off to easy,.
    id say my truck is pretty much rust proof though and the amsoil and fluid film applied last year is still there and holding up. Ive had one little half inch by inch or so rhino liner section start peeling underneath where i tore it some how (rock?)and i glued it down with super glue crap. ditto on the brake lines. they are a must.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

WD 40 is a useless product to use, it evaporates, we've tried it and you might as well use nothing. JMO
  15. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

crc corrosion inhibitor is one of the best things I have ever used. Id like to c how that compares to fluid film for sure! Weather on not it removes wax undercoat I have no clue but i used it on mt 01 2500 hd and It still looks like the day I put it on.

crc is best used before rust starts. I dont think it would put it over rust like fluid film.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It will at least soften it as its (CRC) petroleum based. Even a water based degreaser will remove the wax if you pressure wash or wipe it.
  17. matzke3

matzke3 Member

On all frame, springs, axles, steering companents etc I use BD high solids spray paint. It looks great and filles well and stops rust. Ive used this for a couple seasons now and havent had to redo it yet.
  18. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

A friend of mine would just spray his used motor oil on the Frame. It does leak down for a bit after it is sprayed, but works for him.
  19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Fluid Film...aka FF

Pull your door panels clean and coat the inside of your doors.:nod:
    The door bottoms seam to rot out first

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I don't want to start a fight with anyone BUT, what do you think worked better the FF or Amsoil?