1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to help prevent plow from rusting

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Snow_Control, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Snow_Control

Snow_Control Junior Member

I know that its inevitable that a plow is going to rust over the coarse of its life, but is their anything you guys are using on your plows to help prevent the rust? EX: wd-40, silicone spray anything? I was used to plowing with and older ultramount that was full of rust. Last year I bought a brand new ultramount and I would like to keep it looking good for as long as I can. Thanks
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We use Fluid Film every fall and spring before we put our stuff away. WD 40 isn't meant for rust proofing.
  4. Snow_Control

Snow_Control Junior Member

thanks guys, did a quick search on it and thats what everybody is saying.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Wait DO NOT USE FLUID FILM:nono: you will get addicted.:nod: the stuff is a danger to the youth of America. there is almost nothing it is not good for lubricating or protecting. Stop before Dano controls the world. :rolleyes:

Its like Frank's hot sause, I put that s*** on everything.
  6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

My last plow was coated with line-x. Just got a new plow this year and at the end of this season, I will break it down and get this one shot with line-x too. Just make sure the front of the molboard is the smooth liner.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

FF it. But I also like the battle scars on mine too.
  8. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

MUAHAHAHAHAHA :nod: My evil plan for World domination cannot be stopped.

Would you like to try a can of Fluid Film? :laughing:
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Every time someone types"rusts" on the internet ,Dano is there :salute:
  10. cretebaby

Yes please.

I will PM my address.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Me too. I would like to try the brush can again. I liked the first one very mulch before it was run over. :(

I think you already have my address.:nod:
  12. cretebaby

Again. :rolleyes::laughing:
  13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Just like a crack or meth dealer arnt you?

I got the free can.
    1st thought "yeah so". Then I tried it on a couple things. In disbelief about how it worked so fast and well I could not control myself after that. I tested it on a door hinge. I tested it on a rusted nut on the alternator under the hood.

This is where I became addicted, The over-spray shot on a corroded electrical connection. The fizzle and bubbling it made amazed me and brought me to new highs of disbelief. It not only cleaned the green corrosion out it protected it from more corrosion.

I tried it on my under-hood light that had the bulb rust froze in the socket. Half hour later it was loose and could be replaced without damage to the light socket itself.

This is when I noticed the small free sample could not be wasted in any way or form.

I hid it from others that might see the can setting in the garage. I hid it from the wife. From the kids. I hid it from anyone but myself. I used this amazing spray can now only a small squirt at a time all the while having cold sweats from thoughts of running out.

Soon I knew I had to find a dealer as now that free sample has me hooked and I find myself shopping for it at late hours of the night on-line.

I still hide it as I can not take the chance of anyone in my family becoming addicted to it. ussmileyflag
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Thank you for sharing that, it is always good to know there are others suffering the same fate. we were considering a support group but it seems no one wants to kick this addiction. The big concern is; when will the government start regulating its distribution.
  15. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i have to admit, i have bought it by the case.
  16. zeek

zeek Member

Ok...Where do I get this stuff?????
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

18. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

I would use fluid film
  19. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Can I get fluid film in Canada? Ive never heard of it.

I have a LT BLIZZARD & there are some rusty areas that I can tell will get worse.
    I was thinking of grinding them out & painting them over first though.
    Would that be a good idea?
  20. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Fluid Film is certainly available in Canada. Just contact our Canadian distributor for a list of retailers:

Northland Sales
    P.O. Box 790
    Bobcaygeon, Ontario K0M 1A0
    Tel: 705-738-2321
    Fax: 705-738-4550

See, the hardest part about being a Fluid Film pimp is that so many people just BEG for second and third samples, and we only provide one. I'm sorry if you cannot overcome your desire to keep things rust free and lubricated. Don't blame me. I'm just the pusher man. :D