1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to hardwire cigarette plug type light

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by hankhill, Sep 6, 2010.

1. hankhill

hankhill Member

I have aquired a nice two rotator mini lightbar, I pulled off the mirror in the middle and added a third light that spins really fast, I like it alot, only thing is I want to wire it to a toggle switch, I've never messed with one of these cigarrete plugs before but I figure I'll cut it off, and figure out which one of the two wires bundled together is Hot and which is Ground then go from there?

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Cut your hot and either solider or use a connector and I can not remember what the connector is called.

3. ajslands

Nice username btw... :)

4. hankhill

hankhill Member

haha thanks AJ, and also I think your looking for the word but connecters, so this seems really simple just cut the hot and add some wire via butt connector to reach switch and the fuse panel, then butt the ground to reach the firewall

5. ajslands

Do you want the toggle switch it the lighter or the light?

6. hankhill

hankhill Member

I want to toggle switch the lightbar, I want to completely cut off the male adapter that goes into the cigarette port on my truck and hardwire it to a toggle switch, leaving the cigarette port alone

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Just cut the wire, use wire connectors to either go right to the switch or more wire, then to the switch. The wire going to the very tip will be your pos. and the wire soldered to the side will be your ground. Just remember what wire you cut and where it was so when you go to hook it back up you won't switch the wires.

8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Doesn't matter how the wires are connected with a halogen rotator, it'll work either way. If you connect it through a relay you can use any switch you want without having to find a higher rated switch.

9. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

If it's a cigarette plug power connection it must be magnetic or suction cup mount so it's removable, why not just wire a switch in the cab and rig up a plug system so you can plug it in and mount it and go and then be able to remove it when not in use, you could also run an exterior power line but I would use weathertight sealed connectors, you can buy them from Summit or many other internet sources, those are the electrical connectors that the manufacturers use for exterior connections when building the vehicles. Just google "automotive weathertight connectors" and you will find them. (if you do buy them make sure male and female pins are included with the plugs or buy them seperatly)

10. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Also, if you run power off your battery and not the fuse box make sure to put a fuse in the hot side line somewhere.

11. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Take apart the male connector, the wire that connects to the springloaded pin on the plug is the hot wire. Just get a standard toggle from wally world and the hot that goes to the light goes to the acc. plug on the switch. Then the negative from your battery and the negative from your light go to the ground plug on the switch. And last but not least the positive from your battery goes to the power plug on the switch. Thats how I had mine done at first then I went to a switch box. Be sure to add a fuse before the switch, maybe even after wouldn't hurt.

12. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I would go to autozone or advance auto or whatever - and pick up one of those 2 into 1 cigarette adapters.
    They have two female cigarette plugs wired into one male end. Then just cut the female ends off and hard wire them (with butt connectors or solder). This keeps your light original and non-cut. If you ever want to sell it or use it via cigarette plug, you still can.

Just an option.
    (it's how I did my windshield mounted LEDs)

13. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Thats the same thing he already has though I think? Not sure though.