1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to handle truck damage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lwnmwr1, Nov 27, 2005.

1. lwnmwr1

lwnmwr1 Junior Member

just trying to see what you would do if you incurred damage to you truck from various items left under the snow or other such items... i just had my fender fixed from a hit and run at the local mall and i was plowing a commercial yard and they left plywood in the lot and low and behold the damn thing popped up and put a dinger in the fender. at a residential house they left a pile a tree limbs in my snow pile area so i was forced to plow differently. while backing up a branch smashed my tail light out???

any ideas

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

the branch thing I would call driver error. If you saw the tree limbs there, then they were not hidden and you should have avoided them. As for the plywood, if it is in your contract that the costumer is to remove all hidden obstacles then I would call them and let them know that they will be charged.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I always look the lot over when I enter looking for bumps or ripples in the snow. Then I use caution while around that area. I have incurred small scrapes and dings as well and I ma sure many here have. Hell who in their plowing years has not bumped into the damn concrete posts that stand about 4 foot high and are around most drive thru's?

I have always chalked it up to operator error and education on my part. Have bitched to myself about it but never had enough damage to make the owner aware of it. I have a crease now in my GMC on the pass. side door from a bank drive thru. I just misjudged when I should turn and was within inchs of it to start with and that all it took. SCRapeee metal pinch and me cussing is what came next. But next time I knew when to turn out when pushing the snow and the only thing the bank knew about it was another red paint mark on the post. Part of plowing as far as I am concerened. Unless it is laid as a trap or something I don't see any need to let others know about it.

4. frostservices

frostservices Member

I guess to me it`s just all a part of a days work your best bet drive a truck that you don`t mind a couple dings in. I always get a kick out of people trying to blame someone else for thier trouble ,I guess its just human nature use your own judgement and take responsibility for your actions. I never have figured out why someone can sue if they slip and fall I mean there the ones that chose to walk there,your taking a risk getting out of bed in the morning .
    Seth

5. genrock

genrock Member

If you dont expect to get scrapes and dents and scratches on a plow truck your living in bizzaro world. I always have a good laugh when I see plows on brand new shiny $30,000 trucks. Its a fact of plowing its not pretty and its not without obstacles and trouble. Just as a side note I saw a 2004 new Aztec last year with a plow rig on it I about died when I saw that.

If you complain or charge the owner of the contract damages then you probably wont have that job for much longer and you will get a reputation with the business owners for this causing you to lose alot of business. Snow removal is one of the topics that business associations bring up and they all recommend certain people and talk about the negatives of certain people at there meetings as well.

Come spring go out and find your self an older truck that your plow will fit on that you wont mind scraping up. Other then that just except the fact that your work truck is going to end up looking like a work truck, hence the name work truck. Im not trying to be a smart ass its just thats how it is. You could fix all the dents and scratches and probably make some money at local car/truck shows but I think you may make more pushing snow if you ask me.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You want to think before you start charging somebody for something that got damaged on their property. Unless they were of malicious intent, you might have a problem. What if they just refuse to pay for it? That's part of the reason we carry insurance - to protect ourselves against damage incurred while plowing. For small stuff, up to and including damaging a garage door, I will just pay to repair it myself. I'll save the insurance for the big stuff, like a totaled car or medical bills. If it's damage to the truck so the Commercial Vehicle comes into play, same deal. Mainly pay attention to your deductibles - you'll pay less for higher deductibles.

Even if you filed a claim against your customer and not your insurance, you can bet a record of it is in your insurance file - whether you win or not.

As kind of an illustration: I damaged my own garage a couple years ago and knocked on door frame off the foundation. I called the insurance. They sent an adjuster who told me to get some estimates. Got a couple - each were in the range of $1500. I had a $1000 deductible. So I'd pay the first $1000, then they'd pick up the rest ($500 or less). But the biggest problem was my rates would go up, they just didn't know how much. I wound up fixing it myself using a couple boards I had around and a friend to help put the wall back on the foundation. No claim, no penalty for rate increase.

7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I was doing some work for a builder in a new subdivision development and keeping the driveways of these new built houses clear (no landscaping yet). I backdragged down a driveway and ran over a pallet that was left on the right side of the drive. Somehow, it ended up wedging under the truck and put a ding in the lower back of the rear quarterpanel, just under the bumper. I was bummed, but I know I'll be redoing the whole truck, anyway. I couldn't even IMAGINE driving a brand new truck and doing something like that to it. It would make me want to cry. :cry:

8. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

#1 reason

That's EXACTLY why I don't have "brand new" equipment! Doesn't make me lose any sleep if I tear something up...part of the job I guess.

9. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

been there done that .i don't get crazy about messing up a 35.000 truck anymore. life is to short ,i just eat it and pay out of my pocket.but you learn to be more carefull.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Dings,dents and scrapes happen,like he said it's a work truck!
    I have "Air-less-ed" my trucks more then once with white house paint,whoops trucks within range again.
    I have to laugh at the people (subcontractors) I see with $35,000 + trucks with plows on them.
    They have $600 of overhead a month, year round with that truck.
    They look down at my truck when I am getting gas like it's some kind of turd on the pavement.
    But hey I paid cash for it 5 years ago. It gets regular infusions of new parts / rebuilds and it's PAID OFF.