1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to handle this storm?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Spinman710, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

Okay Guys...Advice has always been great and I'm looking for some more.

We're having a Nor' Easter on Sunday morning / afternoon. Going from light snow, to heavy snow, to sleet to rain.

Before I've had nothing but friends and family...Now I've picked up a few accounts and want to do them right. One driveway gets about an hours worth of sun per day (trees on both sides) and was a real pain on this last storm due to the ice buildup from the previous storm before that.

When should I plow? Before it sleets? Before it rains? As it rains?

Please advise.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Since you're starting with snow; plow after a set amount has fallen. Let the sleet build on top of the snow. That way, your plow is getting underneath it and won't be as hard to plow up. But don't let it build up too much or it'll just be too heavy to move. Then, if it's just sleet after you plow, plan to come back with salt if it's pavement. If it's hardpack or gravel, plan on sand or sand/salt mix. Of course, it'll also depend on your temperature after you plow, as it may not freeze and simply run off.

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I agree with mick,

He sounds like he's plowed a drive or two :)

4. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

only thing i'd add is, if its a pavement IMO i'd salt it as soon as i was done plowing it, this way the sleet and or freezing rain wont adhere to it making it much more easy to scrape off later

5. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

My 02...

Not everyone SALTS...I don't...so I would try and make a pass when the snow meets your trigger, and hopefully, before the sleet begins...But Mother Nature almost never cooperates with us lowly humans trying to clean up her handywork...lol

Bottom line...do the best ya can!!

6. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

sorry , coming from the municiple side and not the commercial side i automatically think everyone puts down salt and stuff to help them out
    if thats the case i'd leave the snow on as long as possible to help not turning the driveway into a skating rink

7. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

Don't have salt...if I did, I'd have my Scott's seed spreader to lay it down. Only 1 driveway concerns me, the others are a piece of cake.

Thanks for the advice guys...I really appreciate it.

8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

You could pick up one bag of salt and put it on that driveway when its all said and done. $8 and 5 minutes, they will be happy. It will fall under "Really Great Service" and you can tell them this is something you can do from now on, when its needed... for a price. Make that $x driveway into a $1.5x driveway!

9. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

I thought about that...he's already bought the Chems...

One of the things that I do is go back after the town comes through and clean up the end. I can always keep my spreader in the back and just do some walking...doens't hurt to walk a little...