1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to handle freezing rain on concrete

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bullit340, Oct 25, 2011.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

I ran into a problem last season where the surface temps on the concrete were cold but it was warm enough to be raining instead of snow. Of course it was freezing on contact creating a major sheet of ice. The problem was that it was raining so hard it was just washing away any material we put down. As soon as I finished spreading a bag of peladow it was a sheet of ice again.

Shutting down the walks was not an option but walking on them was dangerous for my own guys, never mind the customers. Is there a solution to this problem? Am I using the wrong material?

2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I have seen guys use a liquid solution. Not sure what it is/was, but there were 4 guys, 2 with backpack sprayers and 2 with hand held sprayers. It looked like it worked very well.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

It's tough during an event, you just have to keep on it. Rock salt would have been more cost effective than peladow though, as with rain it was probably just below the freezing point. I'd have just doused it heavy with rock salt and kept on it.

4. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

a coarse material is what is needed at this time. Pelladow is great but it is gone so fast you can not apply fast enough. I would have used BZ by central salt. I is a salt that is coated with Mag. It works great. Bulk Clearlane or slicer would have also worked if you used it on your lots

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I think i know the storm your referring to. I still have nightmares about that one.
    Almost had a nervous breakdown! In 25 yrs worst ever. Sometimes there's not
    much you can do.I had customers calling me right after i treated there lots, asking
    me when i was coming! I begged one business to have a delayed opening, my 26 k
    truck was sliding sidewards even when stopped, they refused. It's a miracle know one got hurt.I pre-treated heavy,treated during event, and then when temps finally rose
    was able to plow the 1"+ of ice up.Looking back still can't figure what i could have done differently. Pouring rain freezing on contact is a tough one, quite the challenge for sure.