1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to go about this

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fastcarz3, Dec 5, 2008.

1. fastcarz3

fastcarz3 Member

ok heres my deal i have an 05 f250 2wd truck that i wanna put a plow on actually im gonna. the truck is mainly used in the spring summer n fall as a matter of fact i just started it up this morning after sitting for the last 2 1/2 weeks. This truck sits with insurance and current registration goin to waste. Ive read and searched plenty about the risks of using a 2wd for plowing. This truck will be used in one decent sized lot with an expierenced driver with an 07 f350 psd backing it up. this lot is a paid per inch so its not an hourly thing i think having the truck in there will get me out faster then having just the one. I understand sum will say go buy a cheap pos beater but thats outta the question as i have knowhere to store it and it cant sit on site and i do not wanna make insurance payments. In my search ive found timbrens for the front. ive talked to 4 people 2said itd work 2 said it wouldnt. im looking to see if anyones running a setup like this or has knowledge to help me get this setup goin. i am preferably looking to use a western bc the rest of the trucks are running them. any help would be great

2. karseneau012500

karseneau012500 Junior Member

Plowing in two wheel drive can be done… I try to plow as much as I can for as long as I can in two wheel. But once I start slipping I quickly go in to four wheel. Time is Money... I would hate to be fighting the truck especially if you have heavy wet snow. If you’re going to do it I would recommend a LOT of ballest and brand new tires.

3. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Ballast is the key, load that rear end with as much weight as you can (safely). Also, new, very grippy tires, and buy a set of chains to keep with you.

I had to plow with 2wd when my 4wd went out during a storm. It's not easy, especially with sloping driveways, but it's possible.

4. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Ballast, new tires and use capital letters and punctuation in your posts....took me an hour to get through that, not to mention the spelling.

5. fastcarz3

fastcarz3 Member

i forgot to mention the lot is completly flat too. The truck actually has a new set of tires on it with less then 500miles. i already reasearched the risks of plowing with a 2wd im just looking now how to get a plow installed onto the truck

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Look at he plow manufacturer websites and see if they list a plow mount for your truck.
    If not find a GOOD fabricator and maybe he can make a mount. (Not recommended)
    Carry a tow strap too. You WILL get stuck at some point.