1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to go about pricing commerical properties, long island New York

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by bdriverbenjamin, Aug 25, 2016.

1. bdriverbenjamin

bdriverbenjamin Junior Member

new member here, been doing residential snow removal for a few years now nothing crazy just regular basic services, an opportunity has risen where i can get the ability to do this restaurant chains snow removal about 7 locations if i wanted them all, the biggest lot is maybe about an acre or so, just need help on how to go about pricing it and how to present it in a fashionable manner, and what are some things i can ask the managers about services, i do not know what the going rate is for commercial work, that's why i'm here, any help that could send me in the right direction would be helpful
    equipment:
    brand new 2016 bobcat S650 with sno tech pusher
    1998 dodge ram 2500
    & will be going to look at getting an additional truck whether it happens to be new or used

2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Where are you located? What is the plan with the sidewalks? Are you still going to do your residentials? How far apart are all these chains? It sounds like it would be a pretty spread out route to me.

3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you should sub contract to get some commercial experience. It's a whole different ball game. Stick to residential or do some subcontracting on commercial for a couple seasons.

bluerage94 likes this.
  4. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Commercial rates differ on your location. You say a opportunity has come your way? What type of service is your client requesting. Restaurants are high traffic flow area's can you get insured for this type of work? As JMH stated how far are these 7 locations apart and are sidewalks involved. Your not mentioning trigger levels, What about salt and can you store it, Do you have a dependable spreader? what about WC is your client requesting this?

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

The bobcat, just leave it at the biggest lot. Pretty much what you have been asked already. How many employees do you have. You need to be fully insured. If we got a storm like last year, could you handle all your work in s respectable time, oh and welcome aboard.

shawn_ likes this.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The owner can opt-out of WC, by law

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Yes, I got to have it everywhere I go. I never had no one that didn't request it.

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Opposite sides of the coin. Ive never had anyone request it of myself as the owner.

9. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Your meaning the biz.property owner. Not a Contractor owner.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

As A business owner(s), any business owner, in this case, yes the contractor (a business owner) can opt out of being required to have wc on themselves.

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Yes no ? I'm not on my comp policy. I was more referring to the biz owner requesting it for snow services from the contractor. If the contractor is a sole operation you would not need it either.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The client can request that the employes of the companey they are hiring be covered by wc, to cya.

As a business owner, the owner can cover them selves ( have WC) but,,, by law they can opt out, and not have WC coverage on themselves.

Could this cause an issue with a client , sure, but educating them on the law may appease them.
    Or it may not.

There are loop holes, like listing your right arm guy on your llc as a owner.
    I gave him a 1% share that would be revoked when he left or was fired.

13. Randall Ave

I have a very small business. But I do work for some very large companies, and some municipality's. I have to have complete insurance coverage, including W.C. it's just the price of doing business I guess. Just charge accordingly.

FredG likes this.
  14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

As an example, the state of Arizona requires employers to cover all of their employees, even if those employees are corporate officers or directors or, in the case of a limited liability company, members. Florida requires businesses with four or more employees to provide coverage, but doesn't count exempted corporate officers. Minnesota requires every employer to cover every employee, even if they are undocumented. Massachusetts also requires total coverage of all employees.

How Different Types of Businesses are Treated for the
    Purposes of Workers' Compensation Insurance Coverage
    Type of Business
    Coverage Requirements
    Sole Proprietors Sole proprietors are not required to cover themselves but may opt into coverage by purchasing a policy.
    Partnerships Partners are not required to cover themselves but may opt into coverage by purchasing a policy.
    Corporations Owners of 20% or more of the outstanding voting stock of a corporation may opt out of coverage by filing a waiver form with the Workers' Compensation Board. This waiver must be approved or coverage is required.
    Limited Liability Companies (LLC) Treated Like a Partnership
    Limited Liability Partnerships (LLP) Treated Like a Partnership
    Professional Associations (PA) Treated Like a Corporation
    Professional Corporations (PC) Treated Like a Corporation
    Propria Persona (PP) Treated Like a Sole Proprietor
    Service Corporations (SC) Treated Like a Corporation

15. Randall Ave

I understand the point you are making. Mine is, the customer requirements are you have it. No discussions. If you don't. They will get someone else.

FredG likes this.
  16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I'm sure some large corporations just assume that you are sending employees to to the work.
    They can't regulate your states comp laws nor change whom is or is not covered.

Maybe a note citing your states law could clear things up.
    Or having a much cheaper ins package you got on your own.

17. Randall Ave

Nope, I do work for a very large company. They give you their required insurance coverage. You meet it or move on. It's just that simple. But I also make alot off of them, for me it works. Same as bidding municipality work. It's listed required in the bid, if it isn't there at the time there opened. It hits the circular file. All states are different. If I'm plowing Joe's dinner. He probably doesn't care. If I'm doing a Large mall complex. I'm sure they would want proof of all I insurance. Oh, and I'm in Jersey, there is no cheap insurance rates here. Unless you live here you really can't relate to it.

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Ho but I did plow for a national chain and I have worked for city . So yea
    Well, idk, as the owner, they have never forced me to have WC.
    Maybe it's the illinformed national or muni you work for.
    As we know they never use a form contract.

So moving on based on that alone may not be the best decision.
    Only a xxxx would sigen a contract without question.
    All contracts are negationabel if not you dealing with somone who has littel to no respect for you or what you do.

But as you say and we know the laws vary from state to state,& so do your rights.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  19. bdriverbenjamin

Long Island, New York & the sidewalks will be handled with blower crew, this will basically for the most part just be within family & friends if needed the extra manpower, chains spread out probably over about a 30 mile radius all together, they're in 2 different counties, if I don't want all of them I don't have to take them, I'm being given the opportunity to pick & choose what I want, so I'd obviously choose the ones closest to me which is not far at all

20. bdriverbenjamin

Im in Long Island, New York we acreage about 30 inches or so, but we do get hit with some storms that put people in a panic here & there, client has not requested anything specific, they've only asked me for a quote, I'm going to find out what they want as far as salt/sand, if I don't go about buying a spreader this season, outsourcing it, anything else I should ask?, sidewalks would be involved, those will be taken care of with blower/shovel, trigger level gonna put at 2", that's seems to be the going height