1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to get your name out there

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 02Chevy, Mar 1, 2006.

1. 02Chevy

02Chevy Junior Member

I’m getting a plow for next year and was wondering what is the best way to get my name out there. I have been passing out fliers in neighborhoods by my house for maintenance this year but it is time consuming and in the fall I wont be able to do that for snow plowing.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Is there a neighborhood convenience store where you can put up a flyer or business card? How about a local area "shopper" type paper? Can you put up a small sign near your house/driveway? Maybe a few key people in your area who you can tell your plans and they spread the word. Is there a neighborhood restaurant where you can hang out a little and talk to potential customers? Signs on your truck - maybe magnetic signs to start with. Just talk about plowing snow to anybody and everybody who will listen. Just be prepared for the ones who ask "what would you charge me to plow my driveway" without having ever seen it. Try to have an answer for them - they don't want to hear "I don't know" or "It depends". Maybe most driveways in your area are similar sized so there's an "average".

Starting out - assuming you are "one guy with a truck" - stay away from yellow pages and larger newspapers. You'll just attract customers from too far away or (worse yet) get little/no response for a lot of money spent. An ad in the Boston Globe or NY Times might be an ego booster, but likely more of a wallet buster.
  3. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

I've had really good luck with good ole fashioned pavement pounding - just going door to door for commercial work. I also took out a small ad in the local newspaper classified for 2 months @ 100.00 a month. I got tons of work from that. I had to cancel the ad cause I got too many calls. Now, If we can only get some snow here in PA, I'll be in good shape!
  4. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

I'm going to be expanding my route (hopefully) for next winter, so I plan on offering discounts for refferals, but I am only going after the residential crowd.

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Signs on your truck and word of mouth. Think about maybe sending out flyers and a small ad in the local paper.

Good Luck Mike
  6. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

pay some kid any kid ur own someone u know but any kid tell him ull give him $0.25 a flyer or something or $.10 A Flyer but make sure he passes them out and doesnt throw them away or put a sign outside ur house on ur truck on a buddys property word of mouth anything...

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Instead of flyers you might want to try magnets. Even if you went with the cheaper ones where you sticck your business card on the front. People will put those on their fridge and have them for a long time. This would work well is you put your summer and winter work on the same one. Just make them easy to read.
  8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with everything said above on how to attract business.

I will say that word of mouth and knowing people has worked the best for me. You may need to take some work that is farther away then you would really like to go or is a little harder for the first few years but as you go along and do a good job you will find that alot of people come to you. Many of my customers, especailly the older ones, will come out of their house and say "hey, my neighbor or my friend needs someone to plow for them, what can you do"? News spreads fast, it may be a little slow at first but in a few years, depending on circumstances, you could be turning down work. Just ask the guy who buys a plow to do his driveway end ends up plowing the guy up the street then his friend then that guys friend then his grandmother, etc. It can go on and on if you get the right person(s).