1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to get started

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dodge_dude, Aug 12, 2004.

1. dodge_dude

dodge_dude Member
    from canada

Hi Ima new here and this is my first post.
    I have a 1500 dodge ram 4x4 quadcab shortbox and i want to put a plow on it for plowing a 50-100 yard parking lot and driveways. I don't know what plow to get. Any ideas?? Do I have to do anything else to my truck, springs,airbags, tims???
    I want everthing in b4 winter hits.
    Thanks in advance.:waving:

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Does you truck have hd package or snowplow prep group if not you have to add timberns to help with front sag i would put a good hd optima battery deep cycle yellow top as far as a plow i like 7.5 western imo there are easy to switch on and off between storms i think a fisher is tough on a half ton of course there is always curtis or meyers you have to choose a company thats going to be there at 200 am if you have a problem

3. dodge_dude

dodge_dude Member
    from canada

No my truck isn't a hd nor dose it have a plow prep pakage.
    woulD a boss fit on my truck?? I like those boss plows. I want some thing with no chain holding up the plow.

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yeah like a 7.5 foot and timberns make sure cooling system is good shape tranny fulid is good hd battery should be all set and 300 or 400 lbs of ballast or wieght

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Regardles of which brand you choose being a half ton dodge you should install air bags in your coil springs. The plow you should choose should be no bigger than 7'6" and not weigh more than 550 lbs. A heavier plow will only beat the truck to death. You can visit Blizzard plows.com to view their models. There are dealers in Canada or feel free to contact me to discuss it further.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  6. dodge_dude

dodge_dude Member
    from canada

I was on bossplows.com and all of thier plows weight more the 600 lbs and up. Dose that mean I can't get a boss plow?? I have seen other 1/2 ton dodges with boss plows on.
    7'6" is the biggest plow that would fit my truck. Looks like I can't get a v-plow for my truck. If I put 3/4 ton springs on and airbags in them and timberns on wuould it be able to take a v-plow?

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I am only recommending a weight of 550 lbs. for newer 1/2 tons. 600 lbs is not streatching it to much, but no further.
    Because someone else has too heavy a plow is no reason for you to do it wrong. Upgrading the suspension would carry a heavier plow but ball joints, bearings, axles etc. would not. I run a 7'6"
    Straight Blizzard on a 91 chev. 1/2 ton and am very pleased with it. If you are determined to have the plow of your choice and require a bigger plow for commercial work you might consider trading up to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. I also run a Blizzard 810 for commercial lots, but on a 97 one ton chev. dually and love it.
    It is better to have too much truck than too much plow.
    Dave.