1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How To Get Started?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jimbo, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Junior Member

Hello everyone, I am new to plowing, I just bought a Fisher Minute Mount 7 1/2" for my Ford F250. I was wondering if you can suggest any ways to break in to residential plowing and what would good rates be for me to start with. I plan on practicing on friends and family but really want to try to make some money too. I live in Rochester, NY so there is no shortage of snow here. Any tips and advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! Regards.

2. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Jimbo,
    Do a search, you will find LOTS of information already posted on how to get started. Welcome to PlowSite! :waving:

Also visit www.snowplowing-contractors.com and look for the FAQ section at the bottom.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Click on this link (it's Chuck's FAQ post above) and scroll down to "Starting A Plowing Business". Might be other stuff that will help you too.

http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/plow_site_FAQ.html

My advise is to start small. Resist the temptation to take on more than a couple of hours worth of business the first year. You'll learn more that first year than the next five. Main thing - Be safe and don't hit anything. You'll be out of business faster than you started. The very first place I plowed for money, I almost backed into the customer's car. :eek:

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

First thing I would do is to check out Chuck's FAQ page, which is on the top of this Snowplowing forum. Very helpful.

If you want to go furthur in depth, you can buy a copy of Chuck's Snowplowing Handbook. I have a copy of his when I was just starting out and it helped me alot. To get a copy, just email or send a private message to Chuck Smith.

5. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

John Allin's book is also very good.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Junior Member

Thanks again for all the help! I have been doing searches, FAQs, on this site and others. I have found a lot of information that will be helpful as I get started. I will take it slow in the begining, and try to find other plowers in my area (Hamlin-Brockport) that we could sub for each other in case of break downs or emergencies. I plan on doing residentials only this season. Practicing on friends and family and try to pick up what ever new business I can. How well does placing a ad in the paper work verses fliers & mailers? We have local town papers and a city paper.

I'm wondering if it would be worth offering salting for driveways? How much extra to charge for it and if it's really worth it considering possible liability. I would salt manually with a small hand pusher/spreader, but am worried about people slipping and blaming me.

I know I will need a shovel at times, and plow flasher, is there any thing else I should consider having just in case? Butaine De-icer? What ever?

Great site! Thanks!