1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to get rust stains off a stainless sander

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by LunchBox, Jun 5, 2011.

1. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

I have a stainless steel sander that doesn't look stainless, it looks brown. I tried this cleaner from Power Wash America and it did nothing. My buddy told me to use some sort of chemical that you can buy at masonry supply stores. Any clue what it is?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

muriatic acid

3. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Thats it thanks

4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Be very careful with that. Do not get it on anything but that stainless. Not a bad idea to wear gloves with a large application like that too. The only problem is it will not make it even looking anymore. it will still be stained where the rust was, kind of whiteish looking usually. It doesnt need to sit very long either. Have a hose handy and wash very thouroughly after. Follow the directions and warnings closely. Other than that, good luck!

5. john mc

john mc Member

i use bathroom toilet bowl cleaner and let me tell you you will not find anything better. i will get you the brand this afternoon .

6. john mc

john mc Member

the stuff is called THE WORKS . dont get it on you skin it burns . rub on and wash off . walmart has it

7. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Thanks for the tip John. The stuff works great and Home Depot has it for like 1.25 a bottle!
    Before-
    [​IMG]

After-
    [​IMG]

I should have taken pictures after I used the whole bottle, the sander looks great!

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

You posted 2 before pics

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

LOL! What about steel wool? or even a Scotch Brite pad and some Comet.

10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I've tried wire brushes and wire wheels that go on a grinder, but the steel wire impregnates into the stainless and it discolors again as soon as it gets wet. Not sure if that would be the case with steel wool or not... I just did some diamond plate stainless with a brass coated wire wheel and painted it with clear lacquer after. It looks great for now, we'll see how it holds up...

11. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Hahah woops

After
    [​IMG]

I could have sanded it with 80 grid sand paper but that would have taken forever.

12. cosgo

cosgo Member

Purple power works real good.. dont inhale it - burns like a mother! Farm and Fleet has it on sale this week $13.99/5 gallon bucket.

13. equip guy

equip guy Member

Try turtle wax chrome polish with rust remover. Also try Neverdull from eagle 1 products. Its a wading polish, but rub all over and the get a buffing pad to put on drill. Both work good. I would start replacing some of that angle that is in the picture with some stainless or new piece, fully treated with POR 15 primer and paint. Keep washed over season. I painted my whole dump flat bed and use staight salt, no rust at all or blistering spots

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Clr.............................

15. warrior88

warrior88 Member

believe it or not, vinegar! Also works to get concrete off your nice paint job. Rain-x may work too but I use that for tar from fresh roads and sap from those pesky trees.

16. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

There's a cleaner called " Bar Keepers Friend" That comes in a can .Like Comet and that may work for you.