1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to get rid of...

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ERWbuilders, Nov 3, 2010.

1. ERWbuilders

ERWbuilders Senior Member

The people (Illegals) plowing snow for $10/hr with there own vehicle. Ive put over 100 bids in and i still havnt gotten any more accounts. What am i doing wrong or is it the illigals causing this problem? 1. I am fully insured. 2. i have reference letters i hand out. 3. my prices are reasonable for the area. 4 or is everyone going to call at the last minute when i have no salt because of no need to purchase it?
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

maybe you're looking for the wrong type of customer. I know someone who would "hire illegals for $10/hr" isnt really a target customer for most.
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you havnt given us or your self enough info to answer your question

call back and flat out ask them for some feed back.

when did you bid? too late, too early?
    how many times in the past have you spoken with these people...its rare that a cold call, or a sales man dropping in makes a snow sale on the first meeting or even the first year. it takes years of reminding them who you are....theire contractor fails once..they then call you

are your numbers in line? i know plentty of places that have tight budgets, i also know plenty that have tight budgets but have a realistic thought about what things cost...the cheap guy doesnt always win, even in this economy

whats your marketing material?
    whats your bid look like? i mean anyone can write down a few numbers on some papper or even type up a short proposal, none of that says to me..."wow this guy though of everything, hes on his game" it includes alot of info, but it also isnt worded to the point where they cant understand it.

theres alot to winning bids, passing out numbers is about 5% of slaesman ship
  4. ERWbuilders

ERWbuilders Senior Member

I do make calls over and over again. Maybe my proposals arent worded the best. But then again i really dont know what to charge in the area i am plowing. I picked up 15 small apartments for $25 each a year ago (i think im getting shorted though on price). The lots are 2 times the size of a standard drive way 2 cars wide and 3 cars long. I look at the area and figure how many lots i can squeeze into the lot im biding and add the price up thus giving me my number. Which i think is relativly cheap but i can manage that due to all of my work being in one area. I started calling around in early august and running ads since july passing out flyers and website advertising. Maybe i am the low baller? Maybe thats why im not getting the jobs? I mean i even figured per hr on one at $75/hr and still didnt get the job per push price wise.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Buy them out and pay them 10.00 hr and you charge full price,this way you both win.