1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to get paint off chrome plated plastic.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Jun 7, 2012.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I just bought some factory steel rims today that came off of a 98 K2500 4x4. The rims had been painted grayish silver at some point and it looks like they painted the rims with the center caps on because there is paint around the bottom of the center cap.

Does anyone know how to safely remove this paint without messing up the finish on the center cap? Wheels look like the ones on my 1 ton truck.

Thanks, Wayne
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

try a little acetone just on the rag don't soak them down.
  3. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Thanks, I'll see if I have any and try that.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Brake fluid works good and will remove paint from those crevices you can't get to well by hand. The cheaper the fluid you buy the better it works it seems too. Just pour some in a pan and submerse each cap in it. Overnight is usually enough to remove it (from chrome) with a follow up of a little degreaser and a strong stream of water.
  5. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Thanks B&B, I do have some brake fluid. I'll try that since I didn't have any Acetone to try.