1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to get new customers?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by pabaker66, May 8, 2012.

1. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

Just wondering how everyone goes about getting new comercial customers? Do you go out and start knocking on doors, send letters to places or do you sit back and wait for them to call? I have been doing mostly residential for 25 years and want to get some more comercial accounts. I am not asking you to get them for me just what has worked for you over the years.

Thanks in advance
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

What has worked go you getting residentials, we are doing just the opposite ;)
    Yes I'm serious.
  3. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

As for getting more residential customers, what has worked putting a add in our hometown paper and craigs list. Our town is like Mayberry tho and the best for me has been our local lumber yard, everyone call there when they need information.
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Then the same will probably work for commercial, or call/stop in to solicit the work, we also do mailings & personalized letters.
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Call, Call, and Call some more....The biggest part when bidding commercial is getting in front of the decision maker.... you just have to be persistant... good luck and while you have time, do a search on here ... lot of good info to find ways to get in front of the decision maker....
  6. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Have you considered sky writing, blimps and Super Bowl ads?

You are going to be competing with big companies, nationals and every other guy that put a plow on his truck. Selling plowing isn't any different than selling any other service.

When you go eat somewhere, find the owner/manager and compliment them on the meal (even if it sucked) and leave a business card. Letter your trucks. Word of mouth is the only way I gained customers in Massachusetts. Be creative and original. You can put your company in the yellow pages, but you may just get lost amongst all the other plow companies.
    Last edited: May 16, 2012