1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to get more business

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SweetGreens, Dec 3, 2008.

1. SweetGreens

SweetGreens Junior Member
    from Iowa

I currently have 10 residentials that i do. I have an ad in the local service directory. I am wanting to know some good ideas to get some more accounts. I am just trying to get more houses to keep me busy all day!!! any ideas will help. Thanks

Ben

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A little late in the year for new accounts. Put your phone # on your truck and you may get a call.

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

do some advertising.

fliers
    service ad's
    decals
    cold calls
    word of mouth
    radio
    TV

it costs money to make money. foot work pays off, do your own.

4. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Lawn signs work for me.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

talk to your clients and tell them you're looking for more accounts close by and you'll comp one of their plowings for each person that signs up. You get more work closer to where you are already and it didn't cost you anything.

I disagree that its too late for new clients, around here its hard to get people to sign up for plowing in oct/november. It really has to be cold temps and threats of snowshowers to really get people to think about it. We've picked up half a dozen new clients since thanksgiving.

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

7. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Here is a big/good idea to me at least. Provide exceptional service for the customers you have. Word will spread and you will be looking at new additional customers. After you provide good service those customers will talk and advertise for you, just as they would if you did a poor job, only you won't be getting any new work from that advertisement!

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with this. Last year I had 12 accounts, but this year I have around 27 or so. Which means I doubled my work load. It takes time for word to get out that you do a good job, but it does happen. Put lettering on your truck and drive it in parades. I just did that with my truck, and I heard a lot of people reading my name for the first time.

9. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I had around 8 last year with no advertising, I handed out around 1300 fliers this year, and im up to 20. They're still calling too. I have a feeling a few more will call during the next snowfall.
    Takes time and money to make money.

10. SWISHOP

SWISHOP Junior Member

Do a good job...

They'll tell a friend.....

Do a bad job.......

They'll tell 10 friends.

11. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

I currently have 10 residentials that i do. I have an ad in the local service directory. I am wanting to know some good ideas to get some more accounts. I am just trying to get more houses to keep me busy all day!!! any ideas will help. Thanks

Found this on Craig's List for Mpls.
    For these prices I'll bet they have no shortage of work !!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------------

$120 THATS ALL $100 for MILITARY AND ANYONE OVER THE AGE OF 55

Snow season is coming very fast. Have your driveway and walks cleared. Start as soon as snow stops usually start at 2-3AM so your driveway is cleared to go to work. We are very quite, you won't even know that we were there. I don't know very many people that likes to get up and shovel the walks before work, or after a long day at work.so let me and my crew, We Have large Quantity of contracts so our prices are guaranteed to be the lowest.

Discount for season contract.
    ONLY PAY $120 FOR THE WHOLE SEASON or pay $40 per month
    WE WORK:
    East Saint Paul
    Oakdale
    Woodbury
    Maplewood

call if more info. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PRICES FOR AN AVERAGE CITY HOUSE w/ Driveway and Sidewalks is $10-$15.

ALL CONTRACTS ARE GUARANTEED

12. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Here we go again with the craigslist jokers. I see one spelling mistake and 5 grammar errors. I'm not perfect, but when you are selling your service, you need to review your ads and you'll SHINE on craigslist.

13. Sdyer1357

Sdyer1357 Junior Member

Craigslist

Only thing about that is .... I don't think people really care if he can spell on not.
    Looks kinda desperate to me. I come across this all the time in my Masonry business.
    You get what you pay for i guess. Anyone with a plow can push snow but they can also mess up your yard and hit your cars. I see the add does not mention INSURANCE !!

14. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I agree

i started out with one truck plowing my driveway and a few others, next year i picked up one lot and more driveways... now i got 2 trucks work 5-6 hours each storm. i have not paid a dime out in advertising... trucks have no signs, I just did a good job at fair price.