1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to get Factory Driving Lights to work on a Ford F150?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by iakentdoz, Dec 29, 2005.

1. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Does any one know if there is some way to hook up the factory driving lights on a 2001 Ford F150? I think they were (are) disconnected along with the trucks headlights. It would be nice to be able to pull out the switch and use them when needed. I would like to have some light behind the plow and down lower then the plows lights. I think they will work again when the plow is removed, but need the lights to work with plow installed.

2. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

wouldn't you know, the dealer had them unpluged at the light.
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Why would you want the driving lights to work with the plow? All the light from the driving light will bounce back at you off the plow. Plus, it will create a shadow effect that makes it look like there's less light than there actually is. Not a good idea in my opinion.
  4. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Well, it's a clear plow and the light does got through and since the light are down low the shine under the plow when I'm driving down the road and make it much better to see the edge of the road. Also it's nice to have light to the left and right of plow. Much better with them working, plus I can just push in the switch to turn them off if needed.

Does any one know how to get the driving lights to stay on when Hi beams are on?
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  5. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

In most vehicles equipped with fog or driving lights are made to turn of when the hi-beams are engaged. I know in New Brunswick and I'm guessing most states it is illegal to run hi-beams along with fog or driving lights.

6. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Ya, it's illegal on road, but not off road. or when it snows so hard I'm the only one driving.
  7. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Yea, but have you tried to use your brights whenit's snowing really hard? It's kinda tough to see. It looks like you just went into warp speed:D
  8. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Try This.http://www.f150online.com/tech/foglights.html
  9. when driving with my plow up, I like how the fog lights light the road from under the plow. It almost makes it seem the plow isn't even there. I too have a lexan moldboard and the fogs shine right through lighting the ground in front of me. It's kinda cool actually.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

There is a way to do it but you need to be able to read wiring diagrams.
    The lights work off of a relay,you would have to rewire the circuit so you control when they come on with a switch to trigger the relay. Buy the repair manual and look in the electrical system section,there are wiring diagrams in there.
    In Ohio you are allowed to run 4 lights at the front. Two headlights and 2 fogs or driving lights.