1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to get commercial accounts??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MoreSnowPlz, Jan 30, 2013.

1. MoreSnowPlz

MoreSnowPlz Junior Member

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks...:salute:

2. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Do quality work and get yourself noticed. No advertising like a happy customer.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Sell yourself,

Go start knocking on doors and talking to managers. Only way you can submit a bid is to be asked to do it.

4. MoreSnowPlz

MoreSnowPlz Junior Member

Really, I didnt know that..I posted a longer thread on the bidding section as to what i was looking to ask but i figured i'd throw out the question here where there's actually some action.

5. JimMarshall

from NW PA

One way you can start is to start doing the driveways of the people in town that own the businesses.

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I tell them I will beat the lowest bid by at least 20%.

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Oh ya...Ill beat the lowest by 30%..... Op you see a trend here?.... sometimes a tight resis route pays ALOT better then commercial now a days and theres a heck of alot less headaches .... something to think about

8. plowguy43

My offer still trumps yours as I'll go 20% lower than your 30%payup

9. JimMarshall

from NW PA

How do you make any money doing that?:confused:

10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Ask politely to submit a bid that is good for one calender year from submission.
    But do not cut your own throat just to get work.
    When you DO submit, offer both per push and seasonal quotes for both plowing and sanding.
    List all your equipment, and all your "go to" sub contractor's equipment like front end loaders and tractor mounted snowblowers and shoveling crews..
    Also inform them that they will have your full attention...they will not like hearing you have 22 driveways to do already..so don't mention what you already do unless specifically asked.
    Also supply a copy of your insurance...
    Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll plow any place starting at $9.95! :Thumbs Up:

12. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Call USM, you don't need the right equipment, don't need to do a good job, but you do need to be a good photographer. If you got a camera and a shovel, you are in!

13. plowguy43

My price is $7.96

Low overhead

14. JimMarshall

from NW PA

We have guys like you with low overhead come in and "steal" our work all the time.... 90 percent of customers come back after realizing they get what they pay for.

15. plowguy43

Where abouts are your accounts I could change their minds LOL

16. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Thumbs Up:laughing:

17. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Seems pretty open ended to me, so I answered it.

Sell yourself.

Network yourself with local businessmen such as a BNI group or Chamber Of Commerce.

Submit bids, but don't lowball. In the bidding process, sit down with the contact person and explain why you company can do the best job for them.

Not rocket science, just take good salesmanship to land the accounts.

18. plowguy43

I think White Gardens is spot on with his post. Also just do a search this topic and you'll find a million threads (hence my slightly sarcastic remarks). If you can't figure it this most basic part of business then it won't succeed very long.

19. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I placed an ad in my local paper, while that didn't land me Walmart, it did get me some small businesses, then those business owners know others, then the one next door sees you plowing and wants a price...and so on. You won't get them overnight, and if you do...you probably don't want them, there's a reason nobody else does. Start small, do driveways. Plowing parking lots is easy...the hard part is really mostly administrative. Driveways of all different shapes and sizes will build your skill set, bringing you a sense of confidence. When you talk to managers, they want to know that you know what you're talking about, they're looking for confidence. Tell them your plan of attack...how many guys you'll have on site, where you'll stack the snow, let them know you're the best guy for the job and tell them why you are, then PROVE IT and you'll grow. Learn your costs...if you know how much the job will cost you, you will never fail unless you short yourself. And don't ever ask someone what you should charge, only you can answer that. No matter what anyone says, you will only learn that through experience. Mathmatically, you can figure out an hourly rate, but you will bid jobs too low simply for underestimating time, and you will lose bids for being too high...so don't get discouraged when it happens, learn from it.

20. mdsnowpro

mdsnowpro Junior Member

doing work by discounting further than the lowest price only means you have no idea what you're doing. Have some confidence and charge what it's worth. Pricing like you're doing only drives pricing down and down and down. Come on man!