1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How To Get A Dot Number

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KUJAWA RSK, Jul 15, 2004.

1. KUJAWA RSK

KUJAWA RSK Member
    from PA

HI GUYS
    how do you get a dot number for your trucks. can not find it
    on hear thinks for the help...

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Contact your local US Department of Transportation office.

3. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

stupid question. what do you need it for?

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I really don't think it was such a stupid question. Besides just the point that is often made of there being no such thing as a "stupid question", there is a practical reason for getting a DOT #. As I found out, any time you take a vehicle registered as "Commercial Vehicle" out of state beyond (I think) 100 miles, technically you are required to have a DOT #. I actually took a big chance a couple of times when I took my one ton to Poughkeepsie, then again to Iowa. The person at the state DOT office suggested I tell any trooper that I was on a personal trip (not business-related). At worst, I would get a summons and pay a fine. This would apply only to a vehicle owned solely by the driver. I might have had quite a time explaining what I was doing on a "personal trip" hauling a pallet of Magic Salt and two 55-gallon barrels of Magic -0 from Poughkeepsie.:eek: It was also strongly suggested that I stay out of NYC - regardless.

I would like to not discourage people from asking questions. I know I asked a few "dumb ones" (probably still do) and had some very good guys help me get started (and still are).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2004