Snow Plowing Forum banner

How To Get A Dot Number

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Mick 
#1 ·
HI GUYS
how do you get a dot number for your trucks. can not find it
on hear thinks for the help...

#5 · (Edited)
I really don't think it was such a stupid question. Besides just the point that is often made of there being no such thing as a "stupid question", there is a practical reason for getting a DOT #. As I found out, any time you take a vehicle registered as "Commercial Vehicle" out of state beyond (I think) 100 miles, technically you are required to have a DOT #. I actually took a big chance a couple of times when I took my one ton to Poughkeepsie, then again to Iowa. The person at the state DOT office suggested I tell any trooper that I was on a personal trip (not business-related). At worst, I would get a summons and pay a fine. This would apply only to a vehicle owned solely by the driver. I might have had quite a time explaining what I was doing on a "personal trip" hauling a pallet of Magic Salt and two 55-gallon barrels of Magic -0 from Poughkeepsie.:eek: It was also strongly suggested that I stay out of NYC - regardless.

I would like to not discourage people from asking questions. I know I asked a few "dumb ones" (probably still do) and had some very good guys help me get started (and still are).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.