1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to Gauge salt used

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lawnsrusinc., Jan 13, 2007.

1. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

I have a question that i searched for with no results. For you People out there with V box salters how do you gauge how much salt was used from one property to the next. Iam trying to make a accurate / easy way for my employees to use. Thanks in advance.

Jason

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Weigh your salt truck empty and again fully loaded. Make your rounds and weigh again and divide by number of accounts and you should be able to estimate which ones took more or less. After a while it is pretty easy. Just remember to not short change yourself and to have a mininum charge.

3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

or...

I usually estimate the usage on the square footage of the lot. I price the lot based on 20lbs per 1000sf. Very seldom do lots require that much.....

4. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

last year a guy on here had a sweet way of knowing exactly how much he spread. Basically he put three or four keyways on a shaft of the feeder belt (not sure which one) and a optic eye that counted the number of times the keyways past the eye. He had a display in the truck that showed the numbers. All he had to do was figure out how much salt the salter dumped between each keyway. When he would do a lot he figured out the number on the display and then fixed number of pounds per keyway and he knew how much was put down. I think he told me at one point he had the fixed number down to about seven pounds per time the keyway passed the eye.

I will look to see if i can find the post

5. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

6. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

Elmo thanks for the link i am going to give him a call cause for the 200 bucks it would be worth it!!