1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to find a cheap start plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by NCC74656, Nov 8, 2013.

1. NCC74656

NCC74656 Member

i own a heavily modified 2500 dodge ram 1999 cummins. it has a large grill guard on the front so i assume i will need to do some fab work to get ANY plow mount to fit due to the welded brackets up front.

I want to get into snow plowing this year but need to do it for under 1K. i have some cables that came with my truck that i think are part of a plow controller but am not sure, pics at the bottom.

How can i piece together a plow on craigs list? i see so many mounts, blades, hydraulics, controllers, ect. new plows are 8K and that's WAY to much money for me to spend. can anyone help me go about this?

i live in St. paul MN.

i thoguht i had a better picture but here in the upper part you can see the "isolation mod" i think thats a plow controller but am not sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  2. NCC74656

NCC74656 Member

second question. looking around i have a hard time finding any dodge plows so could i buy a plow from a 83 or somthing and just weld up some 1/2" plate to hold the plow mount to the front frame and then weld a litch pin to the grill guard to hold the top of hte mount? the grill guard is made of 1/2" 2X6 and weighs in at 547Lbs so i think it would be strong enough.

the truck is lifted by 3.5" so i would need to lower the mount anyway to keep the plow in line with the frame right?

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's a new ISO mod. I can't tell by the picture if its a western or fisher tho. That will help in determining what plow you can go with.

4. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

youre going to want to take that guard off for the winter, 547 pounds plus the plow on the front of a 1999 dodge diesel is WAY too much weight for a dodge front end. it looks like it will also get in the way of the light tower too

5. NCC74656

NCC74656 Member

im not sure i know enough to peice together a plow with that control mod. im looking to buy some old plow with everything on it adn just weld stuff up to make it fit the truck.

6. dieselss

Your gunna be into it more money trying to piece something together then trying to buy the right stuff the first time. Your half way there with the ISO mod and wiring you just need the plow, mount and controller. It's not gunna be super expensive maybe 2500 ish. But what ISO is that fisher or western ?

7. NCC74656

NCC74656 Member

yea... i found some old plows with everything on craigs list for 650-800. i think im going to go with them to start with. they are off of old bronchos and F-150's

due to the extensive front end mods to accommodate that grill guard and my recovery winch i will need to do fab welding anyway so im just looking for a cheap starter plow. if it goes well this year then maybe next year ill drop a couple K onto a nice Vplow. im just not keen on spending over 1K when im not sure if i will be doing this more than a year.

8. dieselss

What kind of plows are they for that cheap.

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

This is what I came up with for a bumper, the pump and lights come and go with the season in about 10min.
    It started out as a Meyer EZ Mount Classic, this type of setup allows for a lot of easy modifing for lifted trucks, etc....in my opinion.

bumper_1.jpg

10. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Trying to Frankenstein a setup is going to cost more in the long run. Making things work together and not being able to test a whole setup before buying is a gamble. Especially if you are trying to get plow contracts.

I bought a second truck with plow this year and I paid another $1k in parts/labor to fix all the issues I found to make it reliable after solving the "small issues" it originally had masking the bigger ones. For about $1000 more I could have just bought a nice new setup for my big diesel. Granted I am still saving (barring anymore issues), but trying to go the cheapest route possible will almost always cost more. So make sure you can try any plow you find.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

100% correct, in my case the plow was on the truck and the plow had no issues., I just built the bumper for my needs.
    To give an idea of possible cost, $300-600 to repair/rebuild a pump, $80-140per Angle cylinder, $250-400 to replace "A" frame or Sector, etc...
    Spend the extra money to get a good used set up that has little to no fixes.

12. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Angle cylinder was $185 for me last week, pump shaft seal was $17. Picked it up the other day from the shop since it was puking fluid and not building pressure. That was a $380 bill. Neighbor trying to help install pump last week slipped and broke the tab for the wire completely off the cylinder. Accidents happen, but still sucked.

13. ozoneburner

ozoneburner Junior Member

I have the same truck as you and bought my first plow yesterday. Search "dodge snow plow" on Craigslist, most of the plows are off of our 2nd gens and ol bolt right up. I could have bought a working Meyer for 1500 but went with a blizzard for $2100. I would think if you wheel and deal you could find a beater for 1200 or so no problem.

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Your bumper needs to come off in the winter

You need to do some research. Cobbling something together like your talking about is a horrible idea at best.

15. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Or you can ignore the advice of a half dozen professionals you asked input from. I'm sure that'll be the best approach. Cobble together some plow out of spare parts along with that monstrosity of a bumper you'll be fine :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  16. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Subscribing.

17. NCC74656

NCC74656 Member

18. NCC74656

NCC74656 Member

i expressly said i did not want to cobble things together, i dont know where you are getting off coming off like you are but i do not appreciate it. in my previous post i linked some plows i found on craigs list, what do you think of them as a choice?

the bottom line is i need to get into this for under 1K, if its over 1K i will not be getting a plow. that's simply a financial line that i am not able to cross or move.

19. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Just forget the whole thing. For what you want to spend, you're going to end up with a piece of **** that breaks down every ten minutes and piss the people off that you're supposed to be plowing for. You're going at this whole thing ass backwards.

20. NCC74656

NCC74656 Member

ok... well if i cant get into it for 1K then i wont be getting into it. its just to much money for an initial cost to buy a 3K $ plow. i see dozens of old beaters with plows and have known plenty of people from my auto teachers, grandpa, friends dads that all had a 80's bronco or equivalent with some 20 year old plow they used. that is what i was after.

im not quite sure why some steel and hydraulics should cost so much but i guess it is what it is. if anyone has any thoughts on how i can make things work for my price range feel free to throw them out but if not then maybe ill happen across something local or just not bother with it at all and put the money to other things.

thanks for the help.