1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to figure the efficiency of snow equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by massman, Oct 24, 2007.

1. massman

massman Junior Member

I am looking for some standard equations to figure out how long it will take snow equipment to plow a lot. Also how much salt to spread.
    Truck w/ 7' 6" plow (How much area it can plow in an hour at 2" of snow)
    Bobcat with a 10' pusher
    How much salt per 1000 sq ft.

I work for a large landscape company and i am looking to have some standard pricing across the board. I know some lots have a higher level of difficulty than others but i need some equations to get me close. I appreciate any help you could give.
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

salt is 10-15lbs per 1,000 sq ft
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going with an acre an hour or maybe a hair less for the pickup and between 1.5 and 2 acres for the skid. It really depends on your lots and operators. We have some wide open 8 and 12 acre lots and you can really do alot in a 2" storm. To be honest I'm more familiar with tractors and I like to book about 10-15 acres/tractor/event, sometimes 20 if the back lots aren't high priority. I'd like to see other people's response's on this too.
  4. massman

massman Junior Member

I have a large commercial site that has 20 acres of asphalt to plow. There are 4 acres of road ways, and 4, 4 acre parking lots that are mostly wide open, and im trying to get the lot done in 5 hours. So far Im going to have: 2 F450 with 9' 2" boss V blades, and 4 S250 bobcats with 10' pushers. But im still looking for equations to help me figure a very close estimate on how much area each peice of equipment will push an hour.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You have more then enough equipment there, the roadways won't take very long, if you can wing it to the side. With that equipment on a 2" storm you should be able to do it, in not much more then 2 hours easy. If it's like you say. I have a 40 acre site similar to it, with a skid and two 14 ft pushers and 2" takes a little over 4 hours, but I generally melt the roadways to get it done in 4 hours and there is generally quite a few trailers there that take up alot of pavement, that I don't have to plow.