1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to figure price for salting

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BossPlowGuy04, Aug 20, 2008.

1. BossPlowGuy04

BossPlowGuy04 Senior Member
    from novi Mi

hey guys, this is my 2nd year of plowing and the first year did't go so well becuase my prices were all way to low. So how do i figure what to charge for salt? last year i was buying bagged salt but this year i'm going to buy a v-box spreader so i will be buying bulk salt.

thanks
    alex

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ur going to need a heaveir truck than that 1500 , u have listed for a v-box - did u already get the salt dog u have listed?

also, be forwarded that just because u make the switch to bulk doesnt mean u save money...equiptment, and repairs cost alot too
    how much salt are you spreading?

3. BossPlowGuy04

from novi Mi

the salt dog i have is a walk behind spreader, last year i was spreading about 1000lbs per storm "because it was my first year did't have alot of work" and i was useing the walk behind spreader. this year i have at least double the work and am trying to figure out how to price these new lots correctly so i'm not low-balling anyone and i'm not cheating myself out of money i should be getting. The v-box i'm getting is going to be either the snow ex 3000, or 6000. but i have heard the 3000 isn't worth it and to go with a tail gate spreader, and i'm not sure if my truck can handel the 6000 i need to figure that out. any help is appericated.
    thanks
    alex

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

well, if your heart is set on the vee pro...i would just go to the 8000 model...it doesnt weigh alot more....and could be usefull down the lines

you just coulnt fill it all the way. or even half way....due to your truck

i personally would get a tailgate spreader, that can do bulk or bagged

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

pricing wise, you should be around 75% of your plowing price...is a fair rule of thumb , for smaller lots

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

When spreading bagged product I charge 3 times what it costs me.

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

;)There is no way that 1/2 ton will handel an insert spreader! My advise would be, to just get a good tailgate hitch mount spreader. As far as pricing.....Good luck finding guys who will give you any good advise! Its all a secret!

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

are you sure about that lol.....dont count youre chickens before they are hatched (or somethig like that) i hope you already have youre salt supply lined out? do you have it in youre posesion?

the reason i ask is because....salt price is going to change drastically this year, as it already has. and if youre going to bid on new lot's i would have a lawyer draw up some sort of "clause" in youre contract to adjust for the price that you buy the salt for....

and as far as the spreader goes. buy you a little salt dogg electric v-box and put some airbags on youre truck and you'll be fine just don't fill it completly up. (if you can even find any salt at all) lol

and back to the origional Q' ....a good rule of thumb is somewhere between 75%-110% of plow cost.....i know thier is alot of varience there but there is also alot of variables that go along with the buisness too.

PJ

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

:nod:sounds right to me

10. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  11. elite1msmith

from chicago

lol....but honestly, the idea of plowing with a half ton is bad.... now put a full sized v-bow at 600 lbs... then add atleast 1000 lbs of salt,

and you know that , its not gonna stop there, each time a little more will get filled up as needed, until you have 2000 plus in there

the front end will handle some of the weight, but its already over due to the plow.... at least a tailgate keeps more towards the rear....

i just coulnt imagine plowing with it.. i fill my v box in a 2500 ..and i have to baby the truck, no hitting piles hard while loaded... i coulnd imagine what it would be like in a halfer

back to the waste factor... at the end of the night , i have to back up to the pile and spread it out.... if your buyinng from a person/compant , what do u do with the extra salt at the end of the night? u just wasted money....

12. BossPlowGuy04

from novi Mi

thanks for all the help

13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I charge for salt what I get for a 1-3" push. No problem getting it either.
    The salt dog weighs in at 450 or so. Its a good v-box that works well.