1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to figure a plowing price

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hoy landscaping, Aug 9, 2010.

1. hoy landscaping

hoy landscaping Junior Member

How do you figure a price for plowing? do you go by the sq. foot or acre or how do you figure?
    i did a search and couldnt really find anything.
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It mostly depends on your market, and the amount of snow you get per year. If your market bears it, you can charge a decent price to plow snow, but if it doesn't, it's just not worth it. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a truck, or tractor, is plowing, and the only thing thats left is the places or people that don't pay. Anyhow to get back to your question, you can figure it so many different ways. it will make your head spin. By the square foot, acre, inch, parking space, and so on, with variables on where the snow has to be stacked, how many obstacles are in the way, if the place is open 24 hours, and again so on. Myself being from Ohio, can't really tell you what you can get for any one of the options above, and no one else can either unless you can find somone locally to work with and go from there. I am sure you will get more opinions that will back up the info I just gave you. It all becomes trial and error, just starting out you will win some, and lose some. Just be sure to learn from both to make yourself profitable.
  3. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

Estimate how long it will take you to plow it. Multiply by your hourly rate (only you know your true expenses and what your profit margin is) = your per push price. If they want a contract, multiply your per push by a estimate of how many times you think you will plow it. I would strongly advise against a contract until you have at LEAST a few seasons of experience, if your number are off just slightly, you could be losing money instead of making it.
  4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

By the hour, per push or seasonal. It all depends on the region and the customer.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your in the Erie Pa, area it's35.00 bucks an hour ,Search are a few posts and you'll see.
  6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Seems a bit high dont you think?
  7. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

You go to this build a bid workshop in Columbus hosted by sima, and then they teach you.
  8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Take your best estimate
    Double it
    add 20%

You're in the ballpark.