1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to estimate time to clear and salting

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by nvrstsfd23, Oct 31, 2006.

1. nvrstsfd23

nvrstsfd23 Junior Member

Would this idea work:
    Measure the area that is to be plowed. length and width of each area.
    figure the time of how long it will take to plow the width of the road or area using different width plows. then add up the time for each area.
    so for example if the road is 1000 feet long and 24 feet wide. It would be 24,000 sqf. Just for example if you use a 6 ft plow it would take four passes to clear it and if you used and 8 ft plow it would take 3 passes. So if you know know the miles per hour you can plow a certain height of snow you can figure how many feet you do for a specific amount of time and use this number into the above examples to come up with a number. say you plow a 1000 feet of 3 inch deep snow in five minutes and you have an 8 ft plow it would be 3 passes at 5 minutes so 15 minutes to clear it. Does this make sense or do you guys have a better idea.
    Also figure how much salt is needed can you measure how much coverage you have on an a certain measured area by a certain poundage of salt. Say you use 10lbs of salt and it covers an 100 square foot area. You could then use that number and just multiply it. Say it a 1000 square feet area using the numbers above it would be 1000/100 = 10 then times that by the 10 lbs and you would end up with 100 lbs of salt needed. Also one exception needs to be added in when figure is the difference of salt on road or ice compared to 2 inches of snow in that it will not spread as far on a cleared road or ice. What do you guys think about this ideas.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

So many variables, I don't even know where to start. I'll list a couple and others can add to it. Everybody can get a little time in here.

Trail-off --- This is the snow that will get pushed to the sides of a plow and has to be pushed up. Unavoidable. You certainly can't use the full width of your plow.

Characteristics of the snow will affects how it pushes - wet and heavy is easier to keep in place than light and fluffy, but you can't take as big a bite.

Not many places will be straight-ahead pushes.

Have you ever plowed snow??
  3. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

:dizzy: All those numbers are making me crazy.

I am with Mick:D

4. nvrstsfd23

nvrstsfd23 Junior Member

Yes we have plowed snow I was just looking for a little more scientific approach to bidding than just looking and guessing
  5. SweeetLandscpng

SweeetLandscpng Junior Member

I think in a sense you are on the right track but I know for a fact no matter how perfect your equipment or how nice the road is there will always have variables Plan on leaving yourself an extra 1/8 to 1/4 of time to have fu*% ups and issues thats atleast what I do good luck though
  6. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Then buy a Blizzard and save 1/3 of your time! payup