1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to eliminate plow bounce while transporting

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shep28, Dec 15, 2013.

1. shep28

shep28 Member

I know that plows bounce when you drive over a raised area of the road while the plow is raised in transport mode, but it seems like mine bounces too much even when raised to max height.

There is some play in the point where the Quadrant ,meets the a frame(swivel point) - see part E in picture
    http://store.discountsnowplowparts.com/A-FRAMES-WESTERN-SNOW-PLOW.HTM

If I push down on on the top of either end of the plow blade in the raised position, the blade will dip 2-3 inches.

Any solutions?

2. 2012F350

2012F350 Junior Member
    from None

The lift cylinder not being bled completely with cause unwanted bounce as well as the loose or worn parts.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Buy a Boss:)

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I would say that the bounce has more to do with your front end suspension than it does the plow. Possibly your truck is bottoming out on the front end, especially if it's a GM. You should also check your shocks. Most Western plows (HTS does not) are suspended by a chain so the plow will go up until it hits the stacking stops when you go over a big bump. It all depends on how well your truck handles the bumps.

5. shep28

shep28 Member

Has new shocks and springs.

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I have the same Unimount pro plus 3 spring and single shock absorber. I run my plow up high when I know I'm heading over a, what we call a "whoop-de-doo", and it generally doesn't come down that hard. It has the same amount of play you're describing as well. it's necessary when plowing so the plow conforms to the road curvature and clears the snow properly.

You could adjust the slack in the chain so it's a little higher. Run it at maximum height when driving around.

You also could do the shocks / springs thing in the front as well. I don't have anything special or different on my setup, but from just driving around, I've figured out that I have to be "proactive" while driving, and ultimately have to move the plow up or down depending on terrain. I'm constantly moving mine around as otherwise, my truck's temp gauge tends to rise too much if placed too high.

BTW,

HOW fast are you driving when you have this issue ?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  7. mishnick

"but it seems like mine bounces too much even when raised to max height." I wonder if "max height" is the end of the lift cylinder stroke or when the a-frame hits the stacking stops? If you are not hitting stacking stops then you might need to shorten your chain or add the add-on stacking stops. New ultra-mounts come with the optional stacking stops. You add them depending on what configuration you use. With the uni you can change those two little plates that pin the headlight / lift tower to the truck. I have built new plates for numerous unis with holes closer together to make the blade lift higher but you could put plates on with the holes further apart to reduce the max height. If you did this the lift ram would not max out and the chain would be pulled tight in the up most position. When the chain is taught there will be very little bounce.

If as you say the front end is in new condition then this would be the next logical action...

8. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Come on I wanted to say it.

Get A BOSS

Hey Grandview what notch do you run your chains at. Thumbs Up:gunsfiring::waving:

9. shep28

shep28 Member

That is useful info. I will take a pic of the plow in the morning and you can tell me what you think.

What do the stacking stops look like on the unimount?

10. shep28

shep28 Member

Boss schnoss

11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

There's an idea!

12. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

They look like small steel triangles

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  13. shep28

shep28 Member

Thanks Dogplow :)

14. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Your welcome.

If you get the plow to touch or near it in the up position, you should eliminate or nearly stop the slam.

First time I experienced the "SLAM" scared the bejeeezus out of me:blush2:

15. mishnick

As the photos show, the stacking stops are not removable on the uni but there positions is adjustable by putting on differently drilled plates on the side.

As for buying a new Boss :laughing: It would have made sense to recommend upgrading to a new plow but the only people who would recommend Boss over Western are people who only operate them. If you ever built and installed one, especially the V plow you would understand how inferior they are. His Western Uni was state of the art in its day and there are still thousands of them out there in use today. Buying a new plow is the easy solution for people with too much money and too few brains.

It's just that kind of useless comment that makes me not want to visit this site any more. People come here for help, and others come here to offer help for free. If you have nothing helpful to say then go to the bar...