1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to eliminate couplers

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dgchaps, Jan 5, 2009.

1. dgchaps

dgchaps Junior Member
    from NY

Hi - I have a TM6.6 with an E57 pump mounted on a Ford 641 tractor.
    See "picasaweb.google.com/dgchaps/Tractor?feat=directlink" if interested.

Everything is great except one coupler leaks ... the one with the female coupler attached to the hose. I disassembled the coupler (it was quite rusty), took out all bearing balls, cleaned it, soaked it in fluid ... didn't help. I'm not the original owner but I'm pretty convinced everything (even the hoses) are original and about 4 yrs old.

I priced the OEM coupler and ... ouch. Because this is a tractor mount ... the plow goes on exactly once a year. I would prefer to just eliminate the quick-connect couplers altogether. I'm handy but not hydraulics knowledgeable ... can anyone tell me exactly what fittings to purchase to get from the pump block to the hose ? I'd prefer to eliminate both couplers.

2. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

3. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Well first of all nice job on the tractor and setup.. looks good.

You can bypass the coupler if you would like to but you would need to use some sort of swivel so you could connect both male ends of the hose. I would check the hose and make sure it's not cracked and leaking. I would take it to my local Napa (if you have one) or a place that makes hydr. hoses and they could help you out with the correct swivels and adapters you need.
  4. huss691981

huss691981 Member

we did it on our 86 150. Go to the hardware store and get 2 double females. Fut them on the end of the hose without the swivel on the 90 elbow. You will still have to adjust the tightness to get the other side to line up. the swivel end will help you thread it in. Mike
  5. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Any pieces that enables you to go "direct".Remember , your dealing with high pressure.
  6. sefh

sefh Senior Member

The only issue I can see by doing this, is that you would loose all of your fluid from the pump when disconnecting.
  7. huss691981

huss691981 Member

You do loose some fluid, but is is only the fluid in the hoses. Everything in the pa block has to go up hill to get out.
  8. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Good point.