1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to (Dual Batteries)?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lodogg89, Oct 13, 2007.

1. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

Anybody have any insight here, i would like to get a dual battery setup in my half ton. Running the plow, heater, lights and everything draws very fast as you know. Is their a kit i need for the tray, or can i just get a universial one and make it fit in there.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You should be able to get a tray from gmc/chev that does not need any modification. It should bolt right in

It is a straight forward installation.
    pos to pos , neg to neg, use good cabling and a fuse or breaker in the pos cable.

3. cwags73

cwags73 Junior Member

Just a little tip. If you have a big truck service center near you, you can usually measure your cable length and have them make custom heavyduty cables for you. They work great and I've never had to repair one in 5 years.

4. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

sounds pretty easy, what type and size of fuse to i need. and do i just run another lead off of the alternator or since the batteries are connected it will charge both.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It will charge both.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just like the other said, just use a stock GM tray, it will bolt right onto the pass fender well.
    Make sure both the batteries are the same age, type and size.
    Connect the batteries together, pos to pos with 2 gage cables.
    Make sure the plow ground wire is wired directly to one of the batteries and not to the engine or frame.
    Swap out the stock alternator charging wire to a 4 gage cable run directly to the batteries.This is important and helps these trucks charge much better with less voltage drop, even with the stock amp alternator.

7. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

Just want to add some useless dealer info. When purchasing my truck I asked the dealer to toss in an extra battery and wire it into the system for the same reason. Less chance of running out of juice if plowing for an extended period. The service manager told me that was an $1100 job due to relays, fuses etc. $1100 !!!!!! They're nuts. Went elsewhere to make my purchase. Still waiting to hear from the next dealer. Can always follow the advice here.

8. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Just asking cuz I dunno.....but why not just put the ground to the frame?

I haven't gone exploring on alternator wiring......but is there some pretty good sized wire that goes to an electrical box........is that the one you say change to a 4 gauge?

Do you have any idea if Dodge has something like that? Thanks.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your Dodge will benefit from this also.
    You can get a tray from your dealer then upgrade your wiring.

10. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Because if you ground the plow to the frame and not directly to the battery, your depending on the small gage factory ground between the frame and the battery to supply all the ground for the plow, along with anything else that's grounded to the frame. You don't want to do that unless you also upgrade the factory frame to battery ground.

12. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Dodge diesels run duals already.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Is it not better to ground the second battery to the frame or engine block instead of battery to battery? I thought I read that on here.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, run it drectly to the other battery if you not going to also change out the other factory cables..By grounding it to the frame, your still relying on the factory ground to supply ground back to the other battery.

The ideal set up is to connect the batteries together and then run a new 4 gage ground from one of the batteries to the engine block, and then one from the engine block to the frame, then replace the factory wire between the battery and frame with a new 4 gage cable.This will insure an excellent ground path throughout the system.

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks. I wasn't sure.

16. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member