1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to drop an account.

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by CashinH&P, Dec 6, 2012.

1. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

So here is my issue, I have an account that has given me enough problems all year for landscaping. Just a royal pain in the ass. Now for plowing the are doing the samething. They are contracted for $2250 for the season with three payments of $750 (the lot is very small). The contract was signed in April, in November they wanted me to lower the price, which was not going to happen. So I was paid (4 days late I might add), I'v salted there twice now. Well today I herd through the grape vine that they are going to stop using me because the new mechanic has a plow truck.

So my question is, How should I go about dropping this customer? I am so sick of all of the ******** they give me. Can I get the rest of the money?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have a cancellation clause? If not you might just be able to send a letter stating they are canceled by (this date) send it and require a signature. Honestly,not worth the hassle to try and collect.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

There is no cancellation clause. I wrote this contract when I was first starting out and I did not know I should include one.

What do I give them for a reason? I obviously cant just say your a shity customer(although I wish I could)

4. grandview

Dear sir /madam, Do to unforeseen circumstances we will no longer be able to service your property to the highest levels of our abilities. It is best for both of our company to part ways and for you to find a service provider for this upcoming season.

Thank you

Joe snowplower

Something to this effect.

5. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

let them cancel you thats what i did once i just showed up late and did a crappy job a couple times they caled me and we talked about it i told them i was just too busy and we mutually agreed no more payment no more plowin worked for me no problem. sometimes you gotta tell them to their face though not over the fone

6. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

That seems like a bad idea, then I could get a bad reputation. Grandview, Thanks thats good advice.

7. grandview

No deal. Bad rep goes around faster then good rep.

8. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

9. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

In the town i plow in theres not alot of competion so when I dont wanna plow someone or they dont pay i dont go back. I hate contracts but sometimes you gotta have them if ya dont get no snow !

10. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

WOW, really? :dizzy: Even if you are the ONLY one you should never do this, It's just bad for business & in my opinion the worst thing you could do, Terrible idea!! I'd rather not show then show, do crappy work and make them complain.

11. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

I would try talking to the customer, lots of time rumors are not actually true.

12. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Its not just the rumor, its every thing they do. The rumor is just the last straw.

13. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

if you want to drop tell them you can not service them at this point. End of story... not that hard dude...

14. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Worst idea ever.

15. grandview

Never slam the door on yourself.

16. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Best advice ever dude. Your wicked good at buisness.

17. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I would just keep the account. It might not even snow this year. Your just throwing money away.Most poeple on here are asking how to get more accounts.

18. grandview

Peace of mind and no aggravation is worth more then the 2grand he'll make.

19. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

How much aggravtion can it be? It snows You plow done

20. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

When they call and ***** about stupid stuff. The want the price dropped after thet have signed a contract. I personaly feel I came in too low with the bid in the first place, This was my first ever bid.

I have 25 drive ways, and three small commercial lots, If I do drop this one mobil station it will not hurt me nearly as much as it would hurt some one else. I have very low over heard. I still live at my parents house and do lawncare/plowing for rent. I only have one truck payment, plus my insurance's I have another contracted accout which has the insurance and bills covered until march. So yes I will be loosing 2k but In my eyes at this point it is worth it these people have no respect and do not understand how to properly maintain a property and do not like to pay to do things the right way. This customer has made me/my company look bad because the do not want to pay to maintain there property.