1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to Dismount/Mount Plow and Hydraulics

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Adcaplan8, Jan 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adcaplan8

Adcaplan8 Junior Member

I'm a 16 year old high school student with a 2000 F250. It is an Extended Cab, 8 Ft Bed with the legendary 7.3 diesel. I have been looking into getting into plowing and i just got an opportunity to get a plow, but I have a few questions.
    I found a truck on Craigslist that I was going to buy and part out. The Actual frame of the truck broke when the guy was plowing and now the truck itself is trashed. It is an 8 ft Fischer Stainless Steel plow. My question is, how hard and what work is involved in removed the plow and hydraulics from the one truck, and installing it on my truck. I imagine the plow would be bolted and welded onto the main frame of the truck, so i would have to unbolt it and use a grinder to cut the weld to get it off the truck, then would i have to rebolt and reweld it to my truck? Really in the dark here so i could be totally wrong. Thanks - Alex

2. sota

sota Senior Member
    from NJ

google search for info on the plow in question. you should find all the various manuals related to it, including installation.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

What do you intend to plow with it? You're not going to want to hear this, but you're too young to plow. Liability insurance is a must, and nobody's going to insure a 16 year old to plow. You've JUST started to drive legally, and you want to throw a plow into the mix? You're bound to hit something. It's a part of learning. I don't recommend learning to plow while you're still learning to drive.

4. Adcaplan8

Adcaplan8 Junior Member

Plan on plowing Residential Driveways that i can get gigs for on Craigslist with no insurance. Ive done residential lawn care without insurance. Lived on a farm my whole life, I trailer horse trailers and have plowed with ATV's and such before and am not worried about hitting anything. Just wondering how I would be able to remove it from a truck and re-attach. How much would a dealer charge? Thanks for the concern and reply.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Hold on. Let me grab my popcorn and I'll be right back.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Oh to be young, dumb, and naive again.

My insurance man hooks and unhooks my plow.

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Just advertise on Craigslist for someone to cut the frame off the old truck and weld it on your truck. Now when it breaks off, that guy that screwd up your truck, does he have insurance?

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If your asking how hard it is.....you shouldn't be doing it.
    Your leaving out a lot of details as well.

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Like what truck is the plow coming off of. Had a Dodge in the shop last year. His budy put the plow on. No rear brackets, just the front frame, Meyer. Completely welded on, not a bolt in it, but the guy was CHEAP.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Go ask your dad.

What is your truck like?
    Does it have a lift?
    Big tires?
    Stacks to roll clouds of coal?

Next, no insurance.:laughing:
    Ho,I woun't hit anything :dizzy:

So who pays for that Gerage door, porch, car, or kid you hit or back into of tha broken hip when someone
    Falls becuse of somthing you did or didn't do?
    Hint,
    Your prarents will,
    And lord forbid you hurt someone they could sue your prarents for everything they own and win.:waving:

Have fun, good luck.
    Don't lowball.

But gee I just want to earn enough a few extra $$ on cragslist

image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  11. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I admire your ambition at 16 when most kids dont want to leave the house. There are 3 main components to the plow, (1) the plow itself that detatches from the truck side mount, (2) the truck side mount and this is vehicle specific, (3) truck side wire harness and this is vehicle specific. So on the vehicle specific items if the truck your buying isnt the same as the truck you have they wont match up.

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

And everything should be bolted on.. no welding involved

13. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

If you live on a farm and really want to start plowing, buy the plow hire someone that knows what they are doing to swap the mount and wiring for you (probably somewhere between $300-$600) and then plow on your farm for a couple years. This will get you some real experience and when you turn 18 you should be able you get insurance and start a business if you still enjoy it.

Just my .02

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

15. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

someone pass some popcorn

16. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

only if you bring some beer. :laughing:

Love when these young kids think we are just a$$holes and just defy an real information we give them because they think they can do the work we do.

For being someone who grew up on a farm you shouldn't be this stupid in all honesty.

17. xgiovannix12

Beer for every 1 :drinkup: sadly the OP cant drink hes under age :nono:

18. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

[​IMG]

19. xgiovannix12

that works Thumbs Up

20. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

They THINK they can do the work you do? Who are you, superman? If I ever make a statement like that I hope someone hits me with something so heavy they need help to lift it. I've spent too much time around young men who can work circles around so called contractors to ever make such a foolish statement. The kid needs good info and encouragement not a BS attitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.